Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   S/O of Beware thread by MissM (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/s-o-beware-thread-missm-t263446.html)

Susann 04-01-2015 08:31 AM

S/O of Beware thread by MissM

This reminded me of a situation I ran into. A LQS had a beautiful Christmas tree skirt on display with the kit made up without the pattern. I bought the pattern took it home to make sure I could do it before purchasing the kit. I went back a couple of weeks later to pick up the kit. As I was standing in line waiting to purchase I was flipping through the fabrics ooooohhhhhing and aaahhhhhhhing. But, then I noticed that several of the fabrics weren't the one's in the display model. So I undid the fabric bundle and discovered that while the background fabric was the correct color it was toile. The main backgound of my Christmas tree skirt would of been little boys and girls in swings, fishing and playing in a pond in the summertime. When I asked about the substitution, was told they'd run out and it would work because the colors were the same family. Didn't purchase and now check in all kits to be sure that it's the fabric I expect!

ManiacQuilter2 04-01-2015 08:33 AM

I have never bought a kit for that reason. You never know when they are going to substitute a fabric because they have run out. Good that you checked first. What I see is what I want.

Onebyone 04-01-2015 09:51 AM

I only buy kits unseen in person that are from designers and shops that I know how they kit. Others I ask about the contents, pattern used, and amount of extra fabric in each kit.

lynnie 04-01-2015 10:17 AM

Wow Susann, what a great disappointment. summertime on a tree skirt. couldn't they do better than that?!
sounds like they were cleaning out their stash. they could have found something better to substitute with. Sorry for your sour experience.

KwiltyKahy 04-01-2015 10:20 AM

Another reason i don't buy kits.

alleyoop1 04-02-2015 05:17 AM

I don't buy kits. I do buy patterns and then select my own fabrics so I can control the design and colors I want.

elly66 04-02-2015 05:33 AM

At least you caught before purchasing. How disappointing to get that home and see that. I agree while the colors might work the fabric choice is all wrong for a tree skirt.

Sewnoma 04-02-2015 05:40 AM

LOL, that sounds like something a non-sewer would have done. "I don't know what the fuss is...it matches just fine!"

sewnsewsue 04-03-2015 04:28 AM

I have only bought 1 kit as I think they are too pricy most of the time. I DID purchase a quilt kit from Sew Batik at a quilt show. There was way more fabric than needed and the backing provided was a wide batik so I didn't need to seam. All I needed was thread and batting. It was a good experience!

Deb watkins 04-03-2015 04:52 AM

Originally Posted by alleyoop1 (Post 7150534)
I don't buy kits. I do buy patterns and then select my own fabrics so I can control the design and colors I want.

I am with you on this!