Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Safety Pins Snagged Fabric (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/safety-pins-snagged-fabric-t272478.html)

Bree123 11-20-2015 10:01 PM

Safety Pins Snagged Fabric

Has anyone else had this problem? Maybe it was because I used Size 3 safety pins??? I thought they were just longer, but are they thicker as well?

I'm not sure. The fabric that snagged is Robert Kaufman Kona in Snow. I prewashed all my fabric & pressed it like normal. It sewed without issue & I didn't have any issues with straight pins. I ran out of #2's so I switched to #3 and so far all the snags & snapped threads have been with the #3's but I still have almost all my #2 pins in my quilt. I pull/push the snags back into the sandwich. I'm not really sure what to do with the snapped threads other than to trim the ends and say a prayer.

Should I put a tiny dot of Fray Check where it snapped? Darn? Add microstippling? I'm not about to pull out the quilting when it's over 1/4th the way done. Perhaps I'm worrying over nothing & should just wait until it comes out of the wash & decide whether to Fray Check or applique or embroider or something at that point. I just don't understand how this happened & the ladies at the LQS where I bought it couldn't offer any insight or suggestions.

Thanks in advance for your assistance!!!!!

DOTTYMO 11-20-2015 10:47 PM

Throw the 3s away so you don't end up having a problem again.no pin should do this.

if the snag is bad I would fray check as a precaution. Then when the quilting is over check again to see if you need to put applique over.

Prism99 11-20-2015 11:16 PM

When I used safety pins I used size 0. Higher numbers are thicker as well as longer. However, there is also great variability in pin quality depending on manufacturer. Some are very sharp and smooth; others are more blunt and/or not as smooth. I agree with throwing away the 3's.

if you use anything, make it Fray Block instead of Fray Check. It dries in soft rather than hard. But I would wait and see what happens after washing. You may not need it.

ghostrider 11-21-2015 04:46 AM

I think Prism has the right plan, but out of sheer curiosity I'd take a look at the 3's with a magnifying glass before tossing them out. They may have burrs on the points that caused the snags in which case I'd request a refund and avoid that brand in the future.

ManiacQuilter2 11-21-2015 05:30 AM

I don't even use a #2 for my pinning so I would never have used a #3. I would squirt some water on it and see what happens to the snag. You just may have to make something to applique over it.

yngldy 11-21-2015 09:18 AM

Using Fray Block is a great suggestion, BUT try it on a scrap of your fabric first. White is the only fabric I had a problem with when using Fray Block. The spot showed after drying.

Jan in VA 11-21-2015 11:37 AM

Size #1 pins = 1 1/8" long
Size #2 pins = 1 1/2" long

I mostly hand baste my bed quilts, but use pins on wall or baby quilts. I also use BRASS pins to baste because:
1.) they are softer to close;
2.) they do not rust and risk staining my quilt.
They are more expensive but are one of those tools in quilting that I will not skimp on....like proper rulers and Olfa cutters, blades, and mats.

Jan in VA

Bree123 11-21-2015 12:10 PM

Thank you all for your feedback. These pins are less than a year old & definitely aren't rusted. I am planning to buy more #2's that are curved (these are straight 3's). I really like those. I can't imagine trying to use Size 0 with W&P. It wouldn't even go through. I have a hard enough time trying to get 1's in there, which is why I mostly use 2's.

I've never heard of Fray Block. That sounds like the better option if I do have issues with the snapped threads. It's why I was so reluctant to put any Fray Check on it. And I will definitely think twice before buying pins from that store again. I usually buy them at JAF, but got the #3's from a different store, so they are a different brand. I did struggle a bit to get them in & had to sometimes move them slightly to the left or right to get it through the fabric; looking back, I bet you're right about the pins being too dull for quilting. Maybe one of my friends who uses cloth diapers would like them & I can pass them along to them. I hate to throw out so many pins; they must be good for something -- just not quilting.

Tartan 11-21-2015 03:53 PM

I don't know if random tiny circles would fit with your quilting but I have tiny circle stitch on my Bernina that I would put on the broken spots plus scatter a few elsewhere. I believe it is for doing eyelets for strings but I sometimes use it as bar tack quilting on quilts. It stitches a 1/4 inch circle in tiny stitches and this would keep any threads contained and you could put a drop of fray check inside the circle. Just a thought.

Bree123 11-21-2015 04:04 PM

Yeah, I was thinking about adding in some microstippling. I'll post a picture soon. I've been trying out new techniques on this quilt (since it's just a family quilt) and this is also the first quilt I'm quilting on my new Bernina 350 so there are all sorts of things that I will change the next time I make this quilt but I didn't think changing pins was going to have to be one of them! :shock:

Ah well, only way to learn is to keep trying out new things & see what happens. I know in spite of the fact I could probably name a few dozen things I'll do differently in the future, my 3 year old niece will have nothing but compliments for it. Thank goodness for little ones who remind us to keep the bigger picture in mind & not to get too hung up on frustrations over the tiniest details. :)