Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Sales on Etsy (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/sales-etsy-t221037.html)

railroad 05-08-2013 12:12 PM

Sales on Etsy

Has anyone on this board ever tried to sell a quilt on Etsy?

ManiacQuilter2 05-08-2013 12:39 PM

I have a dear quilting friend who lives in Oregon who has some small tops for sale on Etsy. I don't think that she has sold anything. She has also sold on eBay but her sales on that site seems to either run hot or cold. She is really frustrated. Good Luck if you try !!!

ckcowl 05-08-2013 02:25 PM

what did you want to know about the Etsy site?
my mom has sold original art work on that site for a number of years---one of their first 'members'

mucky 05-08-2013 03:01 PM

I have a few items in Etsy. Probably sell one item a year but there is always a chance things might sell whereas sitting in my quilt box I know they wouldn't sell. With so many items on the site I think it's just luck when something sells.

strad 05-08-2013 04:55 PM

I've been selling on Etsy for almost 3 years, and have sold about 140 items, some of them quilts, plus other smaller things like placemats and table runners. It's been a lot of fun and a lot of work. I think the key to selling is taking great pictures, promoting your items off-site (like on Facebook and Twitter) and understanding SEO (Search Engine Optimization, or how your items get found in search.) I also sell at local markets and craft shows, which helps bring in customers as well.

bluteddi 05-08-2013 05:08 PM

I look at etsy freq but must admit I rarely buy....

Scissor Queen 05-09-2013 05:48 AM

Originally Posted by railroad (Post 6052647)
Has anyone on this board ever tried to sell a quilt on Etsy?

When I first started on Etsy I had small things like table runners and a tree skirt in my shop. I think I only sold one table runner and the tree skirt. After this move if I have time I'll put some more small things and maybe a tree skirt or a baby quilt in the shop. I personally don't think it's worth the time and effort to make a big quilt and sell it for what most people are willing to pay.

Gee Hope 07-18-2013 07:14 AM

I am considering trying to sell sewn/quilted/embroidered items on Etsy. With a small family, 2 sons and 0 grandchlldren I am about gifted out. I also do charity quilts locally and for Quilts for Heros and would like to produce some $ to help 'feed my habit.' I would appreciate any advice (I read strad's from May) members might share that might help teach an old dog a new trick. I am going to try to google for selling on Etsy and see what I get.

chezza_79 07-18-2013 07:44 AM

I've sold a few things on etsy. Granted I've only had my shop open since Oct. I sell a lot of small items like zippered pouches, a few quilted wall hangings but my biggest seller is embroidered Christmas Stockings. I haven't tried to put any quilts on there yet. Most of my quilt orders are custom orders from friends, family members, word of mouth, or Facebook now.