Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Sampler Quilt Question (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/sampler-quilt-question-t167615.html)

sarahrachel 11-11-2011 04:15 AM

Sampler Quilt Question

I would like to make a sampler quilt and I have a book for beginners that does a sampler quilt and demonstrates lots of different techniques. The quilt on the front of the book only uses 3 different fabrics. Could I use a bunch of different fabrics the I think would make one block look nice and something else that would work on a different block and work out of my stash instead of buying new fabric? I'm only asking because I want it to look nice when it's done.

Sewflower 11-11-2011 04:20 AM

You can do whatever you please. When I did one I just use similar hues but not same fabric. I tied it all together with the sashinhg and border. Enjoy and remember to post a pic

northern lass 11-11-2011 04:23 AM

I've made several sampler quilts using 2 to 5 colours in a block. It's your quilt, you can do whatever you want. Will look forward to seeing the post of finished quilt!

dmarcho 11-11-2011 04:27 AM

I love the scrappy look. If you are concerned about it looking too scrappy you could try using a "similar background" fabric in each block.

Grammie Sharon 11-11-2011 04:30 AM

The different colors would work out nice. It's your quilt and your choice.

teddysmom 11-11-2011 05:13 AM

Be creative and use what looks good to you. When I do a block sampler, I find one piece of material that I really like and use that and then find others that work with it. It's fun to create your own sampler blocks. I'm doing one now that has 12" blocks. Lots of fun!

catladyquilts 11-11-2011 05:47 AM

you could do a scrappy sampler with every block a different group of colors. it's your quilt, it's open to your interpretation of what you want. samplers are great to learn new techniques and a lot of different blocks

GingerK 11-11-2011 06:03 AM

I think it would look really nice. I remember the first quilt class I took, was a 6 block sampler. I used the same fabric in all the blocks and it turned out really really blah. I can imagine yours with dark sashing separating the blocks.

GrannieAnnie 11-11-2011 06:06 AM

Originally Posted by sarahrachel (Post 4664792)
I would like to make a sampler quilt and I have a book for beginners that does a sampler quilt and demonstrates lots of different techniques. The quilt on the front of the book only uses 3 different fabrics. Could I use a bunch of different fabrics the I think would make one block look nice and something else that would work on a different block and work out of my stash instead of buying new fabric? I'm only asking because I want it to look nice when it's done.

It's your pattern, your fabric and your time. Do whatever makes you happy!

SuzyQ 11-11-2011 06:40 AM

I agree with the others, do what appeals to you. I personally love scrappy quilts.