Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Sandpaper, using for holding fabric... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/sandpaper-using-holding-fabric-t284951.html)

Kitsie 01-03-2017 03:12 PM

Sandpaper, using for holding fabric...

.. I probably am all mixed up (again), but I'm sure I've read that you can place fabric on top of sandpaper for holding the fabric in place. I can see doing that for marking, but was it that it was also used for cutting??!! Wouldn't that ruin the rotary blade?

Humor me please!:o

Nammie to 7 01-03-2017 03:14 PM

I've used sandpaper for marking the fabric -- never for cutting tho.

Mdegenhart 01-03-2017 04:04 PM

I have an old clipboard with a piece of extra fine sandpaper clamped on it. When I have a bunch of pieces to mark seam lines on I use the clipboard & mark while I'm watching TV.

kathy 01-03-2017 04:09 PM

you can put bits of sandpaper on the bottom of your ruler to help hold it still while you cut

tessagin 01-03-2017 04:24 PM

I've not seen or used it for cutting but possibly like Kathy stated.

Kitsie 01-03-2017 04:43 PM

Thanks, guys!

EasyPeezy 01-03-2017 05:25 PM

I think it's for marking the diagonal lines for HST's.

SewingSew 01-03-2017 05:36 PM

I took a quilting class about 20 years ago, and we used fine sandpaper to stabilize the fabric for accurate tracing of a template. So we laid the sandpaper down, gritty side up, then laid the fabric on it, laid the plastic template down on the fabric, and traced the template. Then we drew our quarter-inch around the pattern, picked up the fabric (minus the sandpaper) and (using scissors) cut out along the line where our quarter inch mark had been made. The line that we had traced around the original template was our stitching line. We were quilting by hand in that class.

bearisgray 01-03-2017 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by SewingSew (Post 7732789)
I took a quilting class about 20 years ago, and we used fine sandpaper to stabilize the fabric for accurate tracing of a template. So we laid the sandpaper down, gritty side up, then laid the fabric on it, laid the plastic template down on the fabric, and traced the template. Then we drew our quarter-inch around the pattern, picked up the fabric (minus the sandpaper) and (using scissors) cut out along the line where our quarter inch mark had been made. The line that we had traced around the original template was our stitching line. We were quilting by hand in that class.

I have also used sandpaper that way to keep fabric from moving while marking it.

sushi 01-03-2017 05:58 PM

SewingSew and bearisgray: Interesting technique. If making something curvy, this makes a lot of sense. For strip cutting, I just stick little pieces of sandpaper on the bottoms of my rulers to keep them from slipping. Makes a huge difference, especially when fussy-cutting 4 1/2" squares for I Spy quilts:thumbup: