Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Sandwich trouble (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/sandwich-trouble-t169257.html)

KerryK 11-21-2011 09:27 AM

I watched the Sharon Schamber video and it does look easy on the size she uses, like a wall hanging. But has anyone used this method for a queen or king quilt? I wish she had used a large size to show how she does that. Would she use longer boards, or perhaps do the center section first and then move to the sides? If you have used this method on a large quilt, I'd appreciate your input.

KerryK 11-21-2011 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by AnnieF (Post 4705944)
I sandwich on my dining room table. Put the backing down and use clamps from the tool box to hold it in place. Then the batting and top float on top. I pin-baste. I put the pin in, when it hits the table, I pivot it up and close it. I have never had pleats in the back or any other problem with the sandwich.

Does this not scratch the surface of your table, or do you protect it with something?

Jingle 11-21-2011 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by AnnieF (Post 4705944)
I sandwich on my dining room table. Put the backing down and use clamps from the tool box to hold it in place. Then the batting and top float on top. I pin-baste. I put the pin in, when it hits the table, I pivot it up and close it. I have never had pleats in the back or any other problem with the sandwich.

I do this way also, my table has a glass top so I can't damage the table. Works great.

CarrieC 11-21-2011 10:01 AM

The marble idea is a stroke of GENIUS! Thank you thank you! I currently use the tape and cutting mat method. I can't wait to give this idea a whirl!!!

EmbQuilt 11-21-2011 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by Scissor Queen (Post 4705277)
I just gave up the whole "taping and crawling around on the floor" nonsense and I use Sharon Schamber's sensible two board method sitting at a table.

I just started this method too. I like it, much easier.

EmbQuilt 11-21-2011 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by KerryK (Post 4705950)
I watched the Sharon Schamber video and it does look easy on the size she uses, like a wall hanging. But has anyone used this method for a queen or king quilt? I wish she had used a large size to show how she does that. Would she use longer boards, or perhaps do the center section first and then move to the sides? If you have used this method on a large quilt, I'd appreciate your input.

The board has to be longer than the quilt

jojosnana 11-21-2011 10:09 AM

I loved all of the ideas but the marble was one I had never heard before and it makes sense.....great tip.

luvstoquilt 11-21-2011 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by rj.neihart (Post 4704967)
When I place my 3 layers onto the carpet, I baste with long stitches. Then I place safety pins on that area. I start in the middle and work my way toward the edging. The basting stitches hold the pieces together so I can smooth out the backing while I'm hand quilting.

I do this as well but I am going to try that marble!

jaciqltznok 11-21-2011 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by amma (Post 4705235)
I use one of the flat sided glass marbles that you use in fish tanks and vases. :) :) :)

so then technically ANY rock would work?..yes, no...

Mickey1 11-21-2011 05:29 PM

I just purchased two boards to do the Sharon Schambers method. Here's hoping!