Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Sandwiching flannel - baste with pin or glue? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/sandwiching-flannel-baste-pin-glue-t204188.html)

bhivequilter 10-25-2012 05:32 AM

Sandwiching flannel - baste with pin or glue?

Hi everyone - I'm a beginning quilter and, after sending out my first 3 quilts to a LAQ, I have decided to tackle this next one myself. It's a small quilt, about 3' x 4'. The top and bottom are cotton flannel. When it comes to basting it together, would you recommend pinning it or using the 505 spray? I've been warned by one quilter that the flannel likes to shift a lot, so I'm thinking the 505 spray might be best. What have you heard/learned? Thanks!

pocoellie 10-25-2012 07:51 AM

I absolute love the spray basting.

Neesie 10-25-2012 07:54 AM

I'm an Elmer's School Glue baster . . . but would choose the 505 spray over pins, any day!

Deborahlees 10-25-2012 08:03 AM

are you going to be putting batting in the middle or flannel or nothing....
If you use spray basting, remember to protect for overspray, and allow for fumes.....
If you use Elmers School Glue, no worries, but you should allow for washing after quilting.
If this is your first attempt at FMQ...make your self a sample to practice on....just a piece of flannel, bating, flannel
so you get the feel of what you are doing, flannel will have a little drag to it, maybe make sure your surfaces are waxed and slippery......and remember to breathe and take your time, do not rush, take your time, don't push yourself to be done in an hour....and take some breaks, get up walk away, get something to drink (alcohol works well) and then go back......

Tashana 10-25-2012 08:17 AM

I second that! Open a bottle of vino and have chocolate handy just in case.

Neesie 10-25-2012 08:56 AM

Another tip - Warm & Natural/Warm & White slips less than the poly battings. It isn't puffy but still makes a cuddly quilt.

bhivequilter 10-25-2012 10:10 AM

Thanks for the replies, ladies. Guess I should have mentioned I will be using Warm and Natural as the batting. Yes, I will certainly practice lots beforehand. I have NO expectation of getting this completed in an hour - I'll be lucky to get just a portion of it done by then! Never heard of using Elmers School Glue - this is a spray glue also?

Tashana 10-25-2012 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by bhivequilter (Post 5611699)
Thanks for the replies, ladies. Guess I should have mentioned I will be using Warm and Natural as the batting. Yes, I will certainly practice lots beforehand. I have NO expectation of getting this completed in an hour - I'll be lucky to get just a portion of it done by then! Never heard of using Elmers School Glue - this is a spray glue also?

No, this is a simple Elmer's School glue that comes in bottles and you can buy it anywhere. It is easy to use, you work in sections, aply thin line of glue, smooth your quilt top, dry it with iron and repeat the same with backing. You put the fglye on the batting. It does not gum up your needle and it washes 100%, but it has to be Elmer's SCHOOL glue.

Deborahlees 10-25-2012 11:49 AM

I can not tell you how easy it is to use the Elmers School Glue, you just drizzle it on, like thin icing onto a cake.....
I put pin a line in the center from left to right, fold back to this line....drizzle the glue about 12" down from center fold back line...I do big loop-de-loops (like a slinky) , then fold down the top, and smooth with your hands....wait a minute or two for the glue to grab, fold back the top to the bottom of your glue line and do all over again...when finished with one half, spin it around and do the other top half....when totally done with the top...walk away for like 30 minutes to allow the glue to start to set....Then turn it over and do the backing side....
By using this simple method I can get my top and backing as smooth as glass, NO WRINKLES now and done when you are done guilting....
Remember two things it has to be ELMERS SCHOOL GLUE, which totally washs out....and you do need to allow the glue to dry.....if you are in a major hurry you can hit it with a dry iron....or just allow to dry over night.