Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Sandwiching Quilts on small table (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/sandwiching-quilts-small-table-t307718.html)

no1jan 10-29-2019 11:02 AM

Sandwiching Quilts on small table

How do you manage to sandwich a quilt on a small table without getting any wrinkles in it. I have tried and I can't seem to manage it. I have a small house, smaller living room as my sewing table takes up so much room. I have 6' and 8' tables that I bought but I can hardly walk around due to my sewing table. Please help me, I have 6 tops I need to sandwich and quilt. Four of which are charity Veteran's Quilts.

francie yuhas 10-29-2019 11:10 AM

Sharon Schaumburg ( google her ) has a method that should help. Find a church,school,community center,laundromat...and use their tables. Find a quilting buddy who has a big table. Ask at the local guild.

bearisgray 10-29-2019 11:12 AM

I use long rulers (3 to 4 feet long) or curtain rods as light weights to keep my backing smooth.

I center the backing on the table, and then pin up three to four inches of the backing that is hanging down on each side and slide a long ruler or curtain rod into the "temporary rod pockets" - that give a slight tension to the backing that keeps it smooth - but not so much that it stretches the backing (very much). I might put a couple of weights on the top of the table to keep this from sliding until I get the batting and top placed.

Then I center the batting and top of this. I found folding the batting and top into fourths works - and then I line up the "center points" when layering.

Then I start pinning from the center and work my way to the edges. I do put weights on the top to keep things from sliding off the table. I slide the sandwich around until I am done.

Tartan 10-29-2019 11:52 AM

I found pool noodles work well if the quilt is under the noodle length. I roll up my top, roll up the backing and the tape the beginning of the backing to my table. I roll out about a foot of my backing, smooth the quilt batt over the top of the backing and start in rolling the top on top of the batt. When I reach the edge of my table, I pin or glue the top section. I then I tape the back and slide the basted part over the edge of the table and continue unrolling until I reach the bottom.
If I am using Hobbs 80/20 fusible quilt batt ( love it) I spread my backing completely out on my basement carpet, smooth the batt out, smooth out my top and iron from the middle out. Once the top is all fused, I put a few safety pins around the edge of the sandwich, flip the whole sandwich over and iron the back until fused. I usually have to move the safety pins after ironing the back and repin the edge.

stitcher92555 10-29-2019 11:54 AM

I use a small table with no problem. Amelie Scott from Edge to Edge Quilting has an excellent youtube video of how to do this.

Rhonda K 10-29-2019 12:19 PM

Work with the layers in quadrants to get them put together. Work from the center out on each layer.

I mark or pin all the centers of backing, batting and front quilt layers. Match them as I go through the layers.

Now I should have used this for my last project but tried something different. I just layered the quilt 2 times and going for the third go round in the next few days. I used a new (to me) basting spray and don't like it at all. Sigh!

Check with your library and see if they have open rooms/tables for you to use.

Iceblossom 10-29-2019 12:40 PM

I second the use of a business conference room, a church basement or other location.

I used to have a large table that was great, a crib quilt fit on it, and I let gravity help me keep the fabric taut, along with a few cans of spaghetti sauce! Don't have that table any more.

I do most of my layout on my queen sized bed which makes doing a queen sized quilt rather challenging. I have rolls of heavy craft paper that I cover the bed, it help firm the surface, protect it from spray baste and provide a surface I can feel/use for safety pins. But the height is really hard on me and even with spray baste, I am "crunkled" by the end of the process.

thimblebug6000 10-29-2019 04:44 PM

I admit to only skimming the above comments.... I use my dining room table in the winter months where I can't lay my quilt sandwich outside.
I mark the centre of the backing.with a safety pin on the right side....lay it right side down on the table.... I mark the centre of the batting with a safety pin... lay that on top of the batting, matching the centre marking..... I mark the centre of the quilt top on the right side with a pin.... removing the pin that is in the batting.... lay it right side up matching the centre markings on the rest of the sandwich. Starting in the middle... I either pin baste a fist width apart.... or if I am doing intricate hand quilting.... I hand baste....from the centre out..... once everything on the table top sandwich is done....carefully shift the sandwich to the left....and repeat...and then to the right and repeat.

seazteddy 10-29-2019 11:48 PM

You could also try a local library, they usually have meeting rooms.

no1jan 10-30-2019 03:27 AM

Are you talking about Sharon Shamber? She visited our guild and is a master quilter. One of 22 or 24 in the world. I have watched some of her videos but haven't seen that one. If anyone wants to see fantastic quilts, google her. You won't believe the quilts she has done. I was told the judges took a magnifing glass looking for an error in one of her quilts, but could find nothing. She has been quilting for less than around 20 years.