Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   sandwiching woes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/sandwiching-woes-t163819.html)

annesthreads 10-28-2011 01:35 AM

So I spent ages laying the backing fabric flat, pinning it to the carpet to be sure it'd stay in place, smoothing the batting over it, adding the quilt top. I used spray adhesive and pinned the whole thing. I turned it over - and there are large creases in the middle of the backing fabric.
What more could I do?!

Izy 10-28-2011 01:41 AM

Originally Posted by annesthreads
So I spent ages laying the backing fabric flat, pinning it to the carpet to be sure it'd stay in place, smoothing the batting over it, adding the quilt top. I used spray adhesive and pinned the whole thing. I turned it over - and there are large creases in the middle of the backing fabric.
What more could I do?!

Hi from just over the Pennines!!

Oh what a bummer! Did you put some tension on the backing? I use a wide masking tape and pull the fabric quite taut. I can only guess that the backing too lose....don't give up, try again, it will be worth it

:thumbup:

Painiacs 10-28-2011 01:48 AM

I'm so sorry! Don't spray as I have asthma. I use Sharon board method of basting off you tube. No puckers or creases as of yet! Good luck!

pjaco 10-28-2011 03:43 AM

Happens to me sometimes, hate it. Not my favorite part of quilting, guess I'm too impatient.

PaperPrincess 10-28-2011 04:47 AM

Hi, when you first lay the backing fabric down, it needs to be tight. Not stretched, but taut. Then secure it with tape. I have sandwiched quilts on different surfaces and have the poorest results on carpeting. Too much give. Any way you can use a table? Maybe one at a shop, school, church or library?

susie-susie-susie 10-28-2011 04:54 AM

I have always had that same problem. I got a flannel sheet, hung it on the wall, and spray basted a quilt. No wrinkles. I didn't have any problem with the smell, but I sprayed very lightly. No wrinkles.
Sue

Tartan 10-28-2011 05:44 AM

I like to tape mine to the vinyl flooring in my kitchen. It has nice squares to line up the back on. I put masking tape on several places along all the edges. I put a pin in the tape/fabric edge to hold it better and the tape sticks well to the vinyl floor. You can get it nice and flat and then proceed with the rest of the sandwich. It also helps to iron and starch your back before starting. I do wear the velcro padded knee protectors for crawling around the floor on and have a kitchen chair close to get back up with. I look at it as my exercise class for the day.
If I'm going to use fusible batting I use the old carpet to pin and iron my sandwich on.

annesthreads 10-28-2011 08:14 AM

Some great ideas here - thankyou. Unfortunately I don't have any walls that are big enough to take a quilt, and only the one floor - most of my rooms are very small. I'll have to see if I can think of another venue I could use. It's probably right that there's too much give in the carpet, though it doesn't have much of a pile. The weird thing is that until recently I never had any problems with sandwiching - I just did it and it was fine, but recent ones have all gone wrong. Starching the backing is a good idea - will do that next time. I still haven't gone back to this quilt -it's lying on the floor where I left it last night. Tomorrow I'm going to a quilt show so maybe that will cheer me up and motivate me again!

Doreen 10-28-2011 08:18 AM

I tape and then spray baste. Are you adding a lot of pins?
I hate to take things apart. Getting it all together takes time! Be patient.

annesthreads 10-28-2011 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by Doreen
I tape and then spray baste. Are you adding a lot of pins?

Yes, spray and then lots of pins. In fact I wondered if I was using too many pins - obviously not!