Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   sashiko machine (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/sashiko-machine-t292825.html)

sherry mcd 11-24-2017 09:41 AM

sashiko machine

I have been very interested in buying a Babylok Sashiko machine. What can you tell me about the process and the machine?

KarenR 11-24-2017 10:37 AM

If that is the machine that resembles hand stitching. I liked the look on the front. Can't wait to hear other input.

MadQuilter 11-24-2017 10:43 AM

I thought about getting it but it is very expensive for a "one trick pony" so I decided against it. The expense just didn't warrant the purchase for me.

Macybaby 11-24-2017 11:34 AM

I also fell in love with it and bought one - and have yet to thread it up and use it. I've watched several videos. It only uses bobbin thread, and the needle is a hook that pulls the thread to the top to form the stitch - so you get a double thread stitch, then no thread stitch on the top. and a chain looking stitch on the bottom. However it's not a true chain stitch and is not easily removable.

I've got several tops I plan on using this machine on, just have not gotten to them yet.

Rhonda K 11-24-2017 03:03 PM

The LQS has them and lots of customers. They give a unique touch to quilts, pillows, etc. Endless possibilities. Do you have support at your local dealer?

Some projects here.

http://babylock.com/projects/?Product_ID=BLQK2

UFOs Galore 11-24-2017 03:18 PM

If you do get one, purchase the Babylock Gold Standard plan, too. Because it is such a specialized machine, if it has more than a basic problem, it will have to be sent back to Babylock. The Gold Standard will cover that cost. Otherwise, you will have to pay it.

JustAbitCrazy 11-24-2017 03:35 PM

I bought one recently and love it. Right now Babylock has a half price sale on them. I got mine for $1,499, and my dealer agreed to give me the extension table at no extra cost. Even though it is a "one trick pony" in my opinion it is a good deal because you can use it to quilt your quilts. The same ("one trick pony") can be said of longarm machines, embroidery machines, and most anything. Your stove, refrigerator, furnace all only do one thing, but do it well. I have been using 40 wt. embroidery thread (polyester) in mine because that's what my dealer uses and recommended. But she says it can use cotton thread, too. Besides the hand quilted stitch, it can be used for couching decorative rayon and other threads, for gathering, and making tucks. So cool!

Geri B 11-25-2017 04:01 AM

Originally Posted by JustAbitCrazy (Post 7950036)
I bought one recently and love it. Right now Babylock has a half price sale on them. I got mine for $1,499, and my dealer agreed to give me the extension table at no extra cost. Even though it is a "one trick pony" in my opinion it is a good deal because you can use it to quilt your quilts. The same ("one trick pony") can be said of longarm machines, embroidery machines, and most anything. Your stove, refrigerator, furnace all only do one thing, but do it well. I have been using 40 wt. embroidery thread (polyester) in mine because that's what my dealer uses and recommended. But she says it can use cotton thread, too. Besides the hand quilted stitch, it can be used for couching decorative rayon and other threads, for gathering, and making tucks. So cool!

p

good point about definition/comparison of one trick pony----- sounds like you must have rec'd a good deal, but the question that popped into my mind immediately was....wonder how much dealer actually pays for it if it can be sold at "half price". But whatever...have fun with your new "toy".... Maybe someday I'll look into one too....

Sewgood 11-25-2017 06:20 AM

I’ve had one for a few years. I absolutely Love it. It’s great for doing quilting on those little bags (pouches) I make all the time for gifts. It works really well quilting up table runners and smaller type quilts. I haven’t quilted any large quilts on it though. It runs pretty slow and I’m not that patient. I made all the little quilts in the Moda Mini Marvel book - a challenge to myself - quilted them with my Sashiko machine and my local quilt shop displayed them. She can’t remember how many people bought the machine after seeing them. Most of the folks were more interested in the stitching than in the quilts. LOL

JustAbitCrazy 11-25-2017 08:57 AM

I agree with Sewgood about this being a slower way to quilt than longarmming. It's like quilting on a dsm and sometimes slow at that, like when quilting a small circle where you pivot after each stitch. Plus, another member who has used one for a long time told me a large quilt is too cumbersome to try to quilt with a Sashiko.