Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Sashing advice (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/sashing-advice-t307882.html)

staceybard 11-07-2019 02:21 PM

Sashing advice

I need some sashing advice. I am new to sashing. I have a quilt top consisting of 25 blocks which are each 17.5" square. It is very loud so I am wanting to use white sashing to separate the blocks. From what I've read, it might be easier to just sash each block individually to avoid it getting out of whack. Any advice on how to sash each block individually? I'm thinking 2.5-3" sashing. I really want to avoid cornerstones as well.

Peckish 11-07-2019 02:29 PM

That's how I would do it, and that's how I've done it in the past. For a total of 3" wide sashing, use strips cut at 2". They will finish at 1.5 each side of the block, which will give you 3".

Another thought - with white or light-colored fabrics, the seam lines will be more visible. If you want to disguise this, use a white-on-white or some other kind of print.

Rhonda K 11-07-2019 03:14 PM

A tutorial that may help with the step-by step process.

http://www.synthcom.com/~val/Quilts/...ngSashing.html

staceybard 11-07-2019 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by Peckish (Post 8324172)
That's how I would do it, and that's how I've done it in the past. For a total of 3" wide sashing, use strips cut at 2". They will finish at 1.5 each side of the block, which will give you 3".

Another thought - with white or light-colored fabrics, the seam lines will be more visible. If you want to disguise this, use a white-on-white or some other kind of print.

Thank u! What order do you do the sashing ? Like right then bottom of block?

Iceblossom 11-07-2019 04:19 PM

I call it an L shape because that's the way I put it on. Doesn't really matter which side is which so long as you do it consistently, so do what makes sense to you -- could be top and right or right and bottom as well as left and bottom. Some fabric designs hide seams but white solid it will show, for me consistency matters. For others, not so much. When I lay out a top, I always number my blocks (alpha across, numbers down) because no matter how careful I am, I always turn something or drop them or something that messes them up. I pin the block number in the upper left corner, again, it doesn't matte where you do it so long as it is consistent.

My most recent project I had to use what I call the "two unwieldy strips" method because I was using a striped fabric and it was important for me that it ran in one direction, so I cut it from the length of the yardage and not across. So not every quilt calls for the same treatment, but if I possibly can, I opt for the L method :)

staceybard 11-07-2019 05:15 PM

Thank you Ice blossom for the helpful tips!

Peckish 11-07-2019 11:37 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Just to clarify, I meant to sew sashing strips on all four sides. Here's one where I sewed 2 sashing strips - one colored strip on all sides, then one black. If you look closely, you can see the seams in the black fabric. Then I sewed the blocks together. It was really easy.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]619411[/ATTACH]

Claire123 11-08-2019 02:06 AM

I think that's a great idea. Square up each block as you finish them. You could also consider using a white or very light batik.

Homespun 11-08-2019 06:16 AM

Yes, it lines up much easier when you sash 2 sides of the blocks first!

cashs_mom 11-08-2019 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by Iceblossom (Post 8324215)
I call it an L shape because that's the way I put it on. Doesn't really matter which side is which so long as you do it consistently, so do what makes sense to you -- could be top and right or right and bottom as well as left and bottom. Some fabric designs hide seams but white solid it will show, for me consistency matters. For others, not so much. When I lay out a top, I always number my blocks (alpha across, numbers down) because no matter how careful I am, I always turn something or drop them or something that messes them up. I pin the block number in the upper left corner, again, it doesn't matte where you do it so long as it is consistent.

My most recent project I had to use what I call the "two unwieldy strips" method because I was using a striped fabric and it was important for me that it ran in one direction, so I cut it from the length of the yardage and not across. So not every quilt calls for the same treatment, but if I possibly can, I opt for the L method :)

I use my digital camera so that I don't have to spend a great deal of time marking and numbering rows and columns. I just put my blocks on the design wall in the preferred order and take a picture. I can then put the pic on my laptop or print it out and put it on the wall where I can see it. I can refer to the picture for placement and orientation. I find it easier than all the numbering.