Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Sashing is a pain in the arse!! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/sashing-pain-arse-t18625.html)

Knot Sew 04-07-2009 11:39 AM

I am a famous walmart shopper, thet do have a cotton solid black for about 3 dollars...or dr blue or green will do. Now that black you have will be great for haloween costumes or decorations this fall.

Ninnie 04-07-2009 12:39 PM

1 Attachment(s)
ok, here is my 2 cents worth, first, trash the black, I learned the hard way to always use good 100% cotton. And yes I do make quilts for my Great Dane, he is a big part of my family. Nothing fancy, just squares with cotton batting and I tie them, but he definitively knows his quilts and doesn't want anyone else on them. Someday I would love to make an heirloom. but I quilt for the pleasure that It gives me. And I love seeing Mortimer, (dog) happy on his quilt. Ninnie in NC

cbuchanan 04-08-2009 06:18 AM

I feel if you're willing to put the time in to make that block, I wouldn't be willing to jeopardize it by using fabric that is not suitable. Go to Wal-Mart and buy a yard at $2.00 and have a finished piece you'll be proud of. Nothing worse than putting in all the work to have a piece you don't like and that won't hold up by the time you're finished. Free doesn't always mean it's ok to use. A quilt is an investment...not just of money, but love and your time. Keep plugging. You learn something new everyday and never have all the answers. That's why we have this forum..it's wonderful!!!

littlehud 04-08-2009 07:32 AM

Oh, I love Mortimer. He is sooooo big, yet soooo cute. Love great danes.

JoanneS 04-08-2009 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by Ninnie
ok, here is my 2 cents worth, first, trash the black, I learned the hard way to always use good 100% cotton. And yes I do make quilts for my Great Dane, he is a big part of my family. Nothing fancy, just squares with cotton batting and I tie them, but he definitively knows his quilts and doesn't want anyone else on them. Someday I would love to make an heirloom. but I quilt for the pleasure that It gives me. And I love seeing Mortimer, (dog) happy on his quilt. Ninnie in NC

Looks to me like Mortimer also has a gorgeous antique bed!

shaverg 04-08-2009 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by Ninnie

Hey Mortimer deserves his own quilt. My baby Jake, which you see here in his Santa Hat, is our child. We don't have children. We drive Jake, 4 hours to his grandparents when we go out of town. Not many more years left with us, he is 13.

jojo47 04-08-2009 03:00 PM

Hey, we all learn by asking questions! I've learned a lot just by logging on some days!

Jojo

Bernadette Harwood 04-14-2009 06:51 PM

Hi, I would follow PittsburgPams directions and measure ends and middles, and also put the stretchy fabric on the bottom as you sew. Pin each piece too, pin each end and at least once in the middle, don't take out the pins till you get right up to them. This will stop you from stretching them more. Always have your sashing and borders on the bottom as it creates less waving. Always measure and pin, don't just sew a sashing piece on the block and then cut, you will get stretching that way.