Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Saving money becoming expensive ... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/saving-money-becoming-expensive-t243946.html)

DJ 03-26-2014 07:03 AM

Saving money becoming expensive ...

I discovered about a month ago that by checking out the discount table at a local fabric/craft store, I could save a lot on fabric. The trouble is that just for fun, I start picking out fabrics that I think would coordinate nicely for a quilt ... then without having a need or a plan for a specific quilt, I just buy some. Then, the other day, I had to go back and get one more piece and ended up selecting fabric for yet another quilt. That's not usually my MO, so I'm reeling at what it's costing me to save all that money!

TFL! I'm sure some of you can relate.

TeresaA 03-26-2014 07:16 AM

I know what you mean. I found a HUGE sale on batting and I literally filled my trunk with the stuff. I have enough batting now for at least 20 twin sized quilts. I'd better make that many. I will likely never need batting again. But the price seems to only go up, so this is a good thing.

Onebyone 03-26-2014 07:33 AM

When I see a great price on basic items I know I'll use like batting, thread, and notions, I buy a lot at one time. I don't buy that much fabric at one time anymore. I would rather buy the fabric as I need it for a quilt to go with what I have. That is the only way I can control my fabric stash which was overwhelming me.

Raggiemom 03-26-2014 07:33 AM

I know exactly what you mean!

AnnieSue 03-26-2014 08:09 AM

This id why it's important to keep your will updated. The right person needs to inherit all this batting!

tessagin 03-26-2014 08:14 AM

So very true!! LOL!!!

Originally Posted by AnnieSue (Post 6645794)
This id why it's important to keep your will updated. The right person needs to inherit all this batting!

Jennie and Me 03-26-2014 08:28 AM

I don't see the price of anything related to quilting EVER going down so in the long run you probably are saving money, unless you're like me and later look at a piece of fabric and say, " Whoa, what was I thinking!" I have a couple of those.

ManiacQuilter2 03-26-2014 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by Raggiemom (Post 6645705)
I know exactly what you mean!

I too understand !!!

mandyrose 03-26-2014 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone (Post 6645702)
When I see a great price on basic items I know I'll use like batting, thread, and notions, I buy a lot at one time. I don't buy that much fabric at one time anymore. I would rather buy the fabric as I need it for a quilt to go with what I have. That is the only way I can control my fabric stash which was overwhelming me.

that's a good idea I was going in the opposite direction buying fabric then going back to the store for batting that I never seem to have enough

Doggramma 03-26-2014 09:52 AM

I do that too! I guess you could do is stay away from the store, but that's no fun!