Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   scared to start (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/scared-start-t51693.html)

justwannaquilt 06-27-2010 06:16 PM

I have sprayed all the fabric with starch, and folded it back up waiting to be ironed. I had hoped to start cutting the fabric this evening so I could start working on uneven log cabin blocks for my husbands quilt. But suddenly I am scared to start. lol I know kinda silly but I want it to turn out nice, and I have only ever done wonky log cabins. I really do NOT want this one to be wonky.
I have the pattern drawn up, I am wondering if I should take it up to the copy shop tomorrow and get several copies of it so I can just foundation piece the blocks onto the paper. Would doing this secure a better outcome? or should I just go at it cut the fabric and start sewing strips together?

DebraK 06-27-2010 06:17 PM

Why starch and put it away? I don't understand.

sharon b 06-27-2010 06:20 PM

You starch it and then let it soak in for better pressing .

As for what to do... I feel your pain. I have put off many things , because I was afraid of messing it up :oops: Can you just cut enough fabric for one block and see how that comes out, if you are not happy go get the copies :thumbup:

Prism99 06-27-2010 06:22 PM

I would just start. The starch will stabilize the fabric enough; you really don't need foundation piecing to get nice log cabin blocks. Plus, if the block is a little uneven, you can always "block" it to size later.

Why not make a practice block to start? That will show you if you have enough accuracy to skip the foundation piecing.

sewcrafty 06-27-2010 06:22 PM

Which way will make you feel more comfortable? If you'll feel more comfortable with PP'ing then do it that way. :-D

Good Luck!! :thumbup:

DebraK 06-27-2010 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by sharon b
You starch it and then let it soak in for better pressing .

As for what to do... I feel your pain. I have put off many things , because I was afraid of messing it up :oops: Can you just cut enough fabric for one block and see how that comes out, if you are not happy go get the copies :thumbup:

I understand the soaking, does it still help after it has dried out?

Prism99 06-27-2010 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by DebraK
I understand the soaking, does it still help after it has dried out?

Sure! The starch is still in the fabric. I let the fabric dry with the starch in it before ironing with steam; that way I am sure my very hot iron will not scorch the starch (and make a mess of the bottom of my iron).

DebraK 06-27-2010 06:31 PM

I see, I never knew...thanks.
I don't use steam, probably why it seems odd to me.

Prism99 06-27-2010 06:33 PM

I think the steam re-activates the starch. Not sure, because I've never ironed starched fabric with a dry iron.

franie 06-27-2010 06:35 PM

Just go for it!