Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   scissors approved for air travel (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/scissors-approved-air-travel-t97260.html)

snicker dee 02-07-2011 10:12 PM

P.S. That is Dental Floss

vicsdg 02-07-2011 10:19 PM

Haven't flown out of country, but have successfully taken needles and scissors across the US on several different airlines. Scissors are sheathed blunt nosed children's. Like the idea of only taking one needle on carry on and checking the others with the bag.

Great idea about the dental floss. If you are only using one color of thread you could even store it in the floss case itself. I suggest putting your thread on a bobbin then putting it IN the floss case itself. Most of the tops on the floss cases just pop out. I think Johnson and Johnson would work really great. Easy size to find in the bottom of your sewing basket also. Ingenious. Wish I had thought of it, but then that's why we have friends here. Right?!

Safe and blessed trip to you. Let us know how it turns out.

vicsdg 02-07-2011 10:22 PM

deleted by sender

Gwyn 02-08-2011 12:37 AM

The only ones I know of are more like a circle with little V shapes cut in it. Inside the V and the very bottom is a sharp place so that all you can cut is thread. My suggestion would be to leave your real scissors in your checked luggage and take a little bit of quilt as you go or embroidery on the plane. I've been told crochet and knitting are not allowed either.

MaryMaxim and Herrshners both sell the little cutter.

SEW 02-08-2011 03:58 AM

I always use nail clippers... have never had a problem.

SEW 02-08-2011 04:00 AM

Originally Posted by Gwyn
The only ones I know of are more like a circle with little V shapes cut in it. Inside the V and the very bottom is a sharp place so that all you can cut is thread. My suggestion would be to leave your real scissors in your checked luggage and take a little bit of quilt as you go or embroidery on the plane. I've been told crochet and knitting are not allowed either.

MaryMaxim and Herrshners both sell the little cutter.

The last time I flew, I brought my bamboo knitting needles and had no problem getting through security. I was able to knit on the loooooong flight which helped the time pass quickly!

ronnie17 02-08-2011 06:58 AM

I find it depends who is the TSA agent. I had a pair of Fiskar embroider scissors confiscated (2" blade, but pointed) because no one had seen that type of scissor before. Better to bring a Clover thread cutter (ROund with recessed blades) since the pose no threat... or be prepared to lose your scissors.

Gwyn 02-08-2011 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by ronnie17
I find it depends who is the TSA agent. I had a pair of Fiskar embroider scissors confiscated (2" blade, but pointed) because no one had seen that type of scissor before. Better to bring a Clover thread cutter (ROund with recessed blades) since the pose no threat... or be prepared to lose your scissors.

You are right. What one agent or airport allows may be different than another. Depends on who and where. We all have our favorite craft projects, but sometimes it is better to be overly cautious. A book, drawing paper or graph paper and colored pencils to plan another project or two, or using the little round cutter with some embroidery and a very short and small needle is the way I would go.

ejudy 02-08-2011 12:55 PM

I had my little bitty fold up scissors taken away. They had rounded tip and were only 2 1/2" when opened -- go figure!

Mattee 02-08-2011 01:00 PM

A good rule of thumb is to never travel with anything you can't afford to lose - crafting or otherwise. Some relatives of mine were recently reminded of this when they had to choose between leaving their clothes and other belongings or purchased souvenirs behind when leaving Cairo on a government-arranged flight. I'm assuming you guys have seen the news recently. :) They had a strict one-suitcase per passenger rule. Whatever you decide, I would suggest following TSA guidelines, but not being heartbroken or particularly surprised if something you take has to end up in the trash. I always take short scissors with me when I travel, but if a TSA agent tells me to throw them away, I will do so without hesitation or complaint.