Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Scissors, Scissors, Where oh where are they? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/scissors-scissors-where-oh-where-they-t200965.html)

Scissor Queen 09-19-2012 07:25 PM

My solution is to just buy more scissors. I don't think I'm ever more than about 6 feet from some kind of scissor in my entire house. LOL

auntpiggylpn 09-19-2012 08:04 PM

I use thread nippers when I am sewing and I was constantly misplacing (alright, loosing them)! I finally took a strip of fabric and tied them to my sewing machine!!! I wrapped the strip around my machine and I never had any trouble finding them. I no longer have them tethered to my machine as I have learned to put them down right by my machine when I am done snipping threads. If I start wandering off with them, I tie them to the machine again for a while!!

Jan in VA 09-19-2012 08:11 PM

Experience is a great teacher, isn't it! :D
Jan in VA

Originally Posted by QuiltingHaven (Post 5527057)
No laughing here....I have taken the selvedges off of so much fabric and I have purchased several (oh, about 10 pairs) scissors and I have tied at least one pair to each of my sewing machine tables. I have tied them around the legs, around the plug in for the foot pedal. I have tied them to the nice clear sewing table that fits my Featherweight. I also have a pair tied to the ironing board. They are tethered on a selvedge, oh about 36-46 inches with a nice bow so that I can make them moveable if I ever need to move them. Then I have a pair tied to the sewing basket handle that I take to my chair to do my lap quilting. I have a pair tied to the basket that I carry to the area where I lay out my quilt pieces to decide how I am going to sew them. I have a pair on the table beside the dryer so that I can cut strings when the fabric comes out of the dryer. Now, these are all great scissors purchased with 40-50% off coupons and/or with the additional 20% off at JoAnn's fabrics. AND no one uses "Mama's Scissors" but Mama!!!!

BETTY62 09-19-2012 08:14 PM

Try one of the little attachments you put on your car keys to help locate them. A lady I worked with had one on her keys and it beeped when she clapped her hands. I don't recall where she purchased hers but you might look for try searching for clappers on line.

Tartan 09-19-2012 08:46 PM

I must have 6 pairs of scissors in my sewing room and I still have to look for them when I need them. It does help to have a container sitting close to the sewing machine that you can dump your pens, scissors, rotary cutter etc. into.

cad_queen_2000 09-19-2012 09:29 PM

why not make a nice belt with a scissor holster on each side, (quilted of course) you will always know where they are.

jbud2 09-20-2012 03:25 AM

I have bought more scissors and I too keep them near the iron, sewing table / machine, cutting board, everywhere I sit I think I can find a pair of scissors. I have learned though, to mark each scissors "FOR FABRIC ONLY" and my family better pay attention to the warning. They have their own scissors.

happyquiltmom 09-20-2012 03:30 AM

I have about 20 pairs of assorted scissors & shears. If I can't find one, I can always use another! :)

Jackie Spencer 09-20-2012 03:37 AM

My neice is a professional LAQ, I took a pattern for scissor holders, and modifyed it and made a belt for it, now she has a scissor holster. She loves it and uses it all the time.

rush88888 09-21-2012 02:20 AM

for those things that i can lose easily, like scissors and seam rippers, i have learned to always put them in the same place no matter where i am using them. by my machine, they go on the right, and on the cutting area, they go on the left, which is the same place as by the machine. i don't know what i would have to do if i moved the areas further away from each other! i guess i would have to develop a new system or get another pair of scissors!