Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Scissors survey... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/scissors-survey-t185112.html)

DogHouseMom 04-05-2012 03:09 PM

99% of my scissors/shears were purchased at dog shows strangely enough with the exception of my small thread snips. Most of them are for hair - dog hair - but even my large fabric shears came from a dog show.

Some of mine are 44/20 (that's a brand), Dbl Duck, Millers Forge and Kikui. My sewing scissors are Minks.

I'm going to miss showing dogs for more reasons than I loved the sport ... when I went to some of the larger shows (Louisville in March, Columbus in November, Chicago in February, Kalamazoo in May) I brought ALL my scissors and knives to the show for sharpening. Going to have to find a good sharpener.

Tartan 04-05-2012 03:29 PM

I am trying to do a count in my head, hmmmmm 5 prs. of thread snips, 10 prs. of regular scissors in different degrees of sharpness ( once they get dull they go to paper scissors) 2 pair of pinking shears. I buy many brands that are not too expensive and replace them as they get dull.

Krisb 04-05-2012 06:13 PM

Ginghers, shears and pinking shears. The pinking shears are on their third owners. Oh, and Ginghers appliqué scissors. Lots of the little Fiskars 'cause you can take them on planes. They are everywhere. The little ones don't get sharpened, but the shears both do, but only about every other year. They haven't been sharpened now, because I moved and didn't know where to take them.

Peckish 04-05-2012 06:37 PM

When you choose scissors for cutting fabric, look for ones labeled "micro serrated". The tiny serrations grip the fabric so it doesn't move as the scissors are cutting. I know certain brands like Kai, Elan, and the Karen Kay Buckley scissors are micro-serrated.

quiltjoey 04-05-2012 08:54 PM

I have many different scissors that I use. I bought the Karen Kay Buckley micro-serrated which are very sharp but do not have sharp points but blunt points. They do cut great for straight cutting but not appliques and turning corners or curves because of the blunt points (inmho)... I don't recommend them unless you are going to do short, straight cuts. I use my Ginghers mostly...

Phyllis nm 04-05-2012 09:14 PM

Many years ago when the plastic handles came out, they were 2 for $5 at Hancock’s, I bought 4 pair. I told the family they were for paper and everything else, don’t touch the others!<o:p></o:p>
The one time my husband went into Hancock’s with me, as we waited in line to check out he said as he was looking around,” they sure have a lot of paper scissors here.” I looked around and saw a whole isle of them, he never knew the difference, and I never told him.<o:p></o:p>
I have over 100 pair of all types. gingher and gold seal, are the best, gold seal [3 pair] are over 40 years old. I let an idiot sharpen them, he did not know how to sharpen knife edge scissors, [years ago.<o:p></o:p>
The 7” gingher is hard to find, it trims so nice, left hand also.<o:p></o:p>

penski 04-05-2012 09:25 PM

my favorite pair are Ginghers i love them and promised my kids if i caught them using them i would cut there fingers off with them !!!! they dont dare to touch them!!!

QM 04-05-2012 09:37 PM

I'm guessing I have about 10, largely because I sew in 3 different places (not counting carry-with projects) and don't like hobbling to another one for the scissors I want. My favorite is one that was used when my grandmother gave it to my mother as a wedding present in 1936. It is a large pair of both right and left handed dressmaker's shears, labeled "Boker". I have no idea why Mom got these shears, since my aunt was the leftie. Fortunately, Dad long ago explained to DH the dangers of messing with the scissors of someone who is serious about sewing.

Scissor Queen 04-06-2012 05:35 AM

Originally Posted by quiltjoey (Post 5120233)
I have many different scissors that I use. I bought the Karen Kay Buckley micro-serrated which are very sharp but do not have sharp points but blunt points. They do cut great for straight cutting but not appliques and turning corners or curves because of the blunt points (inmho)... I don't recommend them unless you are going to do short, straight cuts. I use my Ginghers mostly...

I use a pair of those for cutting applique. I very rarely use the tips. But I learned to cut doing decopage and learned to cut fairly intricately without moving the scissors. The micro serrations really helps cut down on the edges fraying.

PolkaBabe 04-06-2012 06:43 AM

Ginghers I have the most of & use alot, at least 3 pair. Singer pair which I like even better yet they are like the ginghers, including different sizes. Several off brand. My most favorite are a barber sheers & a small pair of sheers that belonged to my grandparents. Yes I use these more then any other.