Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Which Scissors? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/scissors-t231030.html)

DonnaFreak 09-25-2013 04:24 AM

Which Scissors?

Howdy y'all :c)

I've been working on my first appliqué quilt and having a lot of fun with it! But after ironing the fusible onto the back of the fabrics and pinning my pattern pieces to it, I was concerned about how to cut them out. Since the backing of the fusible is still on at this point, which scissors do y'all use? Do you use your good scissors for cutting fabric, or do you use old scissors since you're cutting through paper? Any opinions?

Donna

dunster 09-25-2013 04:41 AM

I recently read about a professional - can't remember who - who keeps a third pair of good quality scissors just for this purpose. Sort of like Goldilocks and the Three Bears - good, better, and best.

Tartan 09-25-2013 05:17 AM

I just use a good pair of scissors since I do most of my fabric cutting with my rotary cutter. You want nice crisply cut edges on your fabric appliqué edges so use a good pair.

tessagin 09-25-2013 05:26 AM

I use scissors for paper when cutting anything other than fabric. I also have my scissors labeled fabric or paper.

BellaBoo 09-25-2013 05:37 AM

Scissors not made for multiple layers of fabric will not cut or last long cutting layers, even two layers of fabric. Check to be sure the package says made for cutting multi layers of fabric or paper.

mckwilter 09-25-2013 06:02 AM

I use the Karen Kay Buckley scissors with the serrated edge for all my applique cutting.

Scissor Queen 09-25-2013 06:56 AM

I have two pairs of serrated edge scissors I use for cutting appliques out. If you use scissors that don't cut fabric well you'll have lots more edge frays.

quiltstringz 09-25-2013 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by Scissor Queen (Post 6313021)
I have two pairs of serrated edge scissors I use for cutting appliques out. If you use scissors that don't cut fabric well you'll have lots more edge frays.

I love those - I think Olfa makes some but I really love (although they are expensive) the Karen Buckley scissors

DonnaFreak 09-25-2013 08:14 AM

Thanks so much for the replies y'all! I did a google search for the Karen Buckley scissors and found that they're at least $8.00 cheaper on Amazon than anywhere else. I've found Amazon to be cheaper on a LOT of supplies than even the original source usually is!

Scissor Queen 09-25-2013 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by quiltstringz (Post 6313086)
I love those - I think Olfa makes some but I really love (although they are expensive) the Karen Buckley scissors

The Karen Buckley scissors are probably made by somebody else and they just put her brand on them. I have the Elan scissors and they're not expensive and are just as nice. I have another slightly larger size but I don't remember what brand they are and I think they're packed and in storage so I can't go look.