Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Scorched ironing board cover (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/scorched-ironing-board-cover-t261055.html)

jeanne49 02-10-2015 11:08 AM

Snooze, I also think a lot of my problem is from spray starch. I've had it come thru on other fabric and it did wash out, but then I took the fabric immediately to the sink and washed that particular spot.

I've been soaking the cover nearly all morning and some of the ugly color actually did come out - the water was brown!!. It's now in the washing machine and hopefully with proper agitation more will come out. I know it should have never gotten to this point but I use it alot so maybe I'll get a spare to switch off every once in a while so one of them can be washed properly. I've seen several tutes on making your own ironing board cover so maybe one of these days I'll make one - this way I can get a really pretty one instead of the boring ones you buy.

I really appreciate everyones input, and the tip about using freezer paper is great. I will make sure I get a roll of and keep it in the sewing room.

Onebyone 02-10-2015 11:18 AM

If you wash your cover put it on your board while wet. It will dry snug and so much easier to get on the board wet then dry. I put piece of muslin over the cover and pin it underneath the board. Change it out when it gets yucky. I use a big board so I cover it quiet often with new fabric because I get tired of the same print.

jeanne49 02-10-2015 11:32 AM

The big board are great because of their shape - no narrow end. I inherited my mothers Polder ironing board so it's about 30 years old but still in great shape. Would love to have a big board but they are so expensive. Been thinking about have a friend make me one that I can put over my current ironing board. Have seen instructions on how to do that. They would definitely be easier to re-cover when necessary.

Aria 02-10-2015 11:51 AM

My mother used to use sheets for her ironing board. I do the same. When it gets bad, I wash and dry it, and fold it differently before putting it back on. I use elastic, with clips on the ends to attach it.

sewingsuz 02-10-2015 12:22 PM

I cut a white piece of sheet to cover my iron surface when using starch and after a few times , I throw it in the washer.

cassiemae 02-10-2015 01:15 PM

I have the same problem with scorched iron board covers glad to hear I am not the only one. Thanks for the advice.
eunice

Onebyone 02-10-2015 01:22 PM

You don't need fancy plans to make a big board. A 1/2" thick piece of plywood cut into a rectangle will sit on top of your ironing board just fine. It won't fall off unless you push it off.

Honchey 02-10-2015 04:52 PM

My ironing board was so stiff when I took it off I was afraid it would crack :D. I first soaked it in the bath tub to soften it then put it in the washer with a couple of towels and oxiclean.. several rinses to make sure the starch was all out. It wasn't as pristine as the day I bought it but it was softer and clean..I had never washed a cover before and it's hard to find a cover for the board I have.

jeanne49 02-10-2015 06:52 PM

Well, I put the cover in the washing machine and it came out pretty clean. I took to heart someones tip about putting down a cloth when starching, found an old crib sheet and cut the elastic off. Don't have any freezer paper at the moment, but will get a roll and start using that.

Just bought some iron cleaner and will give the iron a good cleaning this weekend. About 2 weeks ago I ran some diluted vinegar thru the iron and it really helped loosen a lot of stuff - must have been steaming for close to 10 min. but unfortunately I didn't have any iron cleaner to help clean the holes and steam plate. But I have that now and will get the soleplate cleaned, and I will NEVER again let my ironing board cover get so bad. I really do appreciate everyone advice and tips. I thought, when I posted my message, that you girls would think I was an idiot, but what the heck, I just threw it out that and I can't believe the responses. Glad to hear that I am not the only one who has/had this problem.

Thank you again to everyone!!!

paoberle 02-12-2015 04:58 AM

My ironing board cover always gets scorched and stained and I have been ironing for over 50 years. When it gets too bad, I go out, buy another, and start the process all over again. I never take it off to wash. I may take a damp cloth and wipe it down good occasionally.