Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Scrap? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/scrap-t91341.html)

Shari1967 01-17-2011 09:09 AM

What do you consider a "scrap"?

less than a 1/4 yard?
less than an 1/8 yard?

I'm going thru my "stash" and I have some scraps but some are good sized pieces but not enough to ever do probably even a wall hanging or table runner with...probably less than 1/8 yard though so I'm wondering should I put them in my (newly created) scrap bin or fold them and put them with my stash.....my stash is not that big - 3 bins (2 small, 1 large) and one bin is all Christmas fabric.

RkayD 01-17-2011 09:14 AM

I keep everything..The tiny pieces to small for sewing get used as stuffing. We won't talk about how many tubs I have...let's just say hub has agreed to turn the garage into my new sewing space. =)

Rhonda 01-17-2011 09:18 AM

I use anything down to 3/4" so I keep everthing. Never know what you may decide to try in the future and you may need that piece after all. I like to keep my options open in case I see something I want to try.

amma 01-17-2011 09:20 AM

I keep the bigger sized scraps in a different space from the smaller ones.
1/4-1/8 yd pieces are nice sizes for sampler blocks :D:D:D

ShowMama 01-17-2011 09:20 AM

To me, scraps are odd sized and shaped pieces of fabric left over from some project, no matter how big or small they are. I keep everything that's 2" square and bigger.

mic-pa 01-17-2011 09:21 AM

Less than 1/4 yd is a scrap and right now I am cutting them up to make a scrappy quilt from Bonnie Hunters site www.quiltville.com. I put fat qtr sizes together and anything bigger goes in my regular stash. I have made two scrappy quilts since Christmas and am starting my third one today. After all we did pay 7 -10 $ a yd for most of our fabric so it won't go to waste. Besides, I love scrappy quilts.

mom2boyz 01-17-2011 09:25 AM

Sew, with the itty bitty pieces, do they all get mixed up in a tub or are they organized in some way. What about skinny strips left from evening off or squaring up? How are they stored, or are they saved?

bj 01-17-2011 09:25 AM

If I can't get a 2" square or a 1.5 strip out of it, I pitch it. I don't have a lot of storage room, and, so far, I haven't done any projects that could use tiny pieces.

cjomomma 01-17-2011 09:26 AM

I toss anything that's smaller than an inch. A scrap to me is a FQ or smaller.

Rhonda 01-17-2011 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by cjomomma
I toss anything that's smaller than an inch. A scrap to me is a FQ or smaller.

Shame on you CJ and BJ there are so many like me that would love to get your scraps!! probably a lot more that could use the help to their stash. Please consider saving for someone else.

Amma I had to laugh I buy 1/4 and 1/8 yds for my stash. I used to never buy anything larger than a half yard!
I keep my scraps - anything less than a 2" square size in zip lock bags. I do sort by color most of the time if I have the patience. Otherwise it all goes into a zip for sorting later. I do alot of scrappy work so use all the variety I can get. I try not to repeat any one fabric in the same projects so I like to have a lot of scraps for resource to go through when I am looking for a certain color or value.