Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Scrappy Quilt question (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/scrappy-quilt-question-t161597.html)

Grammie Sharon 10-19-2011 08:46 AM

I've made alot of baby quilts and have lots of scraps with children fabric designs. Will those pieces work in with more "traditional" pieces. I'm not sure if I'm using the right words or not. Hopefully you know what I mean. Or should I just put the fabric in a bag and close my eyes and grab? I'm not even sure what pattern I want to do yet but I've been coming to a standstill when I look at the scraps.

Sadiemae 10-19-2011 08:49 AM

I have to admit that I don't do well with--put in a bag and grab. I need contrast, so I have to be able to see the next piece I grab. That being said, do what will work for you.

bluteddi 10-19-2011 08:50 AM

I mix the occassional baby/kiddy print in with my Veterans quilts...... just try not to put too many or too close together.......
they works just as well, expecially in a scrappy

*sadie*..... I do the bag and grab... of course there are times that the grab is.. ewwww that can't go next to that one!! and I even go for best 2 out of 3 grabs sometimes.. lol.. or is is best of 5 out of 10?

QuiltnNan 10-19-2011 08:52 AM

if the pieces were small enough, i'd use them in 'traditional'. personally i wouldn't want a traditional quilt with obvious kids fabric

Deborahlees 10-19-2011 08:52 AM

I think it would depend on the final outcome....I don't think 'childrens designs' would work well for an adult quilt that was meant to go to an adult. However you could make a childrens quilt out of childrens fabric using a more traditional design...but with the intent that it would go to a child

dunster 10-19-2011 08:53 AM

I think you're asking if you should mix juvenile prints with other prints in a scrappy quilt. I see nothing wrong with doing it, if you're happy with the outcome. I probably would not mix them if the patches were going to be large enough to clearly identify the juvenile prints, but if the patches were very small then I think they would blend in nicely. In any case, it's your decision, no rules here.

dunster 10-19-2011 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by Sadiemae
I have to admit that I don't do well with--put in a bag and grab. I need contrast, so I have to be able to see the next piece I grab. That being said, do what will work for you.

If you want contrast, put your lights in one bag and your darks in another and then reach in and grab!

Sadiemae 10-19-2011 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by bluteddi
I mix the occassional baby/kiddy print in with my Veterans quilts...... just try not to put too many or too close together.......
they works just as well, expecially in a scrappy

*sadie*..... I do the bag and grab... of course there are times that the grab is.. ewwww that can't go next to that one!! and I even go for best 2 out of 3 grabs sometimes.. lol.. or is is best of 5 out of 10?

You sound like me. It is a good idea because the pieces would controlled and not all over the place. 2 different bags is also a great idea.

Bobby's Girl 10-19-2011 09:19 AM

Whatever you end up doing with your scraps, you'll enjoy doing it and will love the outcome. One of my favorites of all the quilts I've made is one I made using red, white, and blue scraps. It was fun and SO-O-O relaxing not to worry about having enough fabric, precision cutting, matching seams and all the other concerns that go into most quilts I make.