Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Scraps and Murphy’s Law (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/scraps-murphy%92s-law-t319641.html)

Dande413 12-02-2022 08:13 AM

Scraps and Murphy’s Law

My husband went hunting for 9 days. Great time to clean sewing room and tackle the remnants. I emptied every box, bag and container that had leftover project pieces in it. Some of these bags had stuff from 20+ year’s ago. I ironed and cut my way thru it all. I ended up with 2 under the bed totes with strips and squares full. My scraps ended up being fat quarters, 10,9,6,5,4,3,and 2 1/2”. What a job but what a good feeling. My area is clean of fabric clutter. ( will work on the other stuff later). So today I decided to start using up these scraps. Pattern that I really liked uses 3 1/2” squares. 🤦‍♀️ Go figure.

farmquilter 12-02-2022 08:32 AM

What a great task you had undertaken to make so much fabric in usable sizes. Well, you can always just use the 3" squares and follow the pattern to make it a little larger. *Ü*

Gemm 12-02-2022 09:20 AM

Or... if there is subcutting and more piecing, you could use the 4" squares and have lots of room to trim down :-)

Polliwog 12-02-2022 09:36 AM

I almost always start with a slightly larger size square and then trim down. Cuts down on the frustrations of "resewing".

Still Sew N 12-02-2022 10:19 AM

You are an inspiration! That is just awesome. I feel my scraps have taken over as well and I just keep throwing them in a bin to be dealt with - someday. Maybe sooner thanks to your "get it done" attitude!!

Onebyone 12-02-2022 10:36 AM

I got rid of the scrap guilt. I take my scrap bin to retreat twice a year for everyone to take what they want. Everyone loves to dig through it. I rarely use out of my scrap bin, just keep adding more. I have an extensive stash so using scraps is not a big priority for me.

crzypatcher 12-02-2022 10:37 AM

Something must be in the air! I have been pressing and cutting as well. 5", 3 ", 2 1/2" and 1 1/2 strips: Plus 5" and 2 1/2" squares. They will outlive me!!

NoraB 12-04-2022 09:22 PM

You are right, something must be in the air! I decided my goal for 2023 is to make scrap quilts until I've gone thru all the scraps from previous years. I didin't realize I had that much, but it seems every little storage box had scraps! Even found a box with 2" squares sewn together in pairs and many sewn 3 together. So, I spent all day pressing, sewing and working my way thru that pile. I have a plan on a quilt for Project Linus and will have plenty to continue for "many quilts". I might even "keep track" to see how many I'm able to make! I'd like to get all these made into something before I dig in to my yardage stash. (But, if necessary for sashing or borders, I'll dig in)!

Happy sewing and piecing everyone!

Karamarie 12-05-2022 08:11 AM

I had organized my "stuff" by cutting 2 1/2" strips, 2 1/2" squares, 3" squares, 4'" and 5"squares and putting each size in box flats. My intention was to sell them on line but can't transfer pictures to my computer anymore. So I am trying to use them as much as I can. At my age, I can't keep making quilts unless I have someone to give it to or donate. It does certainly clean up things to be organized like that.

SusieQOH 12-05-2022 08:25 AM

I can't deal with scraps. They drive me crazy and wreak havoc in my sewing room so I bag them up and take to Goodwill.