Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Scraps (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/scraps-t89469.html)

QM 01-13-2011 10:06 PM

Gail G, I have bags toorganize both my boxes and my drawers.

BTW, DH built me some drawers that are on super strong (200#) full length pull out rollers. The drawers are 8" deep and 24x36". I love them enourmously. They are not for scarps, but could be with plastic bags of similar types.

hevemi 01-13-2011 10:58 PM

I started neatly storing scraps in see through containers by color. As the piles grew by years I ran out of boxes and space ( my room is small, and so is my apartment)to store them. Now I seem to toss all in the largest boxes I happen to find, dump them all in and hope for the best. Should be the other way round, I quess. I do PLAN a lot though. Maybe some day...I have more scraps than fabrics. I love scrap quilts. Only when I make one I seem to have more scraps than I had to start with!Must find a bigger storage box.

QM 01-13-2011 11:20 PM

I KNOW I have more scraps than whole fabrics.

ritamae 01-14-2011 06:18 PM

This week I started making quilts out of my scraps. they don't have to be color coordinated I just use what I have. since they are already cut it is easier to assemble the quilts. I am making twin size ones. I think I will give them to my greatgrandchildren for christmas. I even put christmas fabric in them. I still have enough scraps to make at least 20 more.

just_the_scraps_m'am 01-14-2011 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by ritamae
This week I started making quilts out of my scraps. they don't have to be color coordinated I just use what I have. since they are already cut it is easier to assemble the quilts. I am making twin size ones. I think I will give them to my greatgrandchildren for christmas. I even put christmas fabric in them. I still have enough scraps to make at least 20 more.

Just make sure you show pix of these--can't wait to see them!

kathyquilter34 01-15-2011 05:48 AM

I cut squares all day yesterday..anywhere from 2.5" to 5"..depending on size of my fabric..got through a large bag..will just sew the squares into charity quilts..sure takes up a lot less room when they are cut..will store them in the see through shoe boxes..

ritamae 01-16-2011 05:12 PM

Do you have Senior Centers in your country. I used to donate my scarps to the center near my home, but I now make scrap quilts. Not like the fancy ones in the books just whatever fabric I have. I said I was going to make a wall quilt from the quilts i make this year. Put it on the wall in my sewing room/den and see my colors and choices for the year. :lol:

ritamae 01-16-2011 05:13 PM

learning how to take pictures and put them on the computer is another class.

Betty Ruth 01-16-2011 06:58 PM

Most pieces of fabric of 1/2 yard or less have been cut into pieces that I use for my quilts. I have 2 1/2 inch squares 3 1/2 inch squares, 4 1/2 inch squares and 6 1/2 inch squares. I also have 2/1/2 by 6 1/2 inch strips. I have a tote box of pieces in each of these dimensions. I also have a shoe box of 6 1/2 inch strips of various strips. Anything smaller than 2 1/2 inches square is thrown in a BIG box to be used for crumb blocks. I don't consider anything over 1/2 yard a scrap. With all those squares just waiting to be sewn into quilts, I'm itching to sew another 1,000 pyramids quilt.

tobylehnj 02-26-2011 04:04 PM

Check out quiltville.com. Bonnie Hunter has her own Scrap Saver System. Cut your scraps into usable sizes. Sort by Neutrals and other colors... Then when you want to sew and make a quilt they are already cut and you can just start sewing. She has many, many patterns on her site for FREE.... She now has her third book out..