Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Scraps (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/scraps-t89469.html)

WisNana 01-12-2011 06:52 AM

i have a clear plastic shoe organizer, the kind you hang on the back of the door. I don't have a lot of scraps, but they are sorted by color and folded into the shoe pockets, it is easy to pull out what I need and it is out of the way.

Diane C. 01-12-2011 06:54 AM

I love 4 patch and 9 patch quilts. If my scrap is big enough it is made into one of these at the time.I store the quilt squares by size in ther own shoe box . Rolled up strips are in their own shoebox. Bigger odd sizes are stored in color groups in an old wooden trunk. Since I love scrap quilts I use my stores fairly often. I do wish I had more clear plastic boxes so I could see at a glance what I have without opening any extra boxes. Diane C.

pomlover 01-12-2011 06:59 AM

i just spent three days ironing my scraps and cutting them into 2 inch strips to make quilts with. I'm working on a pinapple quilt now, actually making two at a time, one for me and one for a gift.

chairjogger 01-12-2011 07:00 AM

I have been reading your replies. Great answers there and the first one.. if you don't know is a warning..
Our Scraps become our STASH and the storage becomes a problem. I always think, I have so much I will NEVER have to buy fabric again.. then.. there is a little something that I just need and come home with more.. <grin>
Good luck.. lots of good answers.
For me, the blanket zipper bags as suggested are great. clear and zipper is wonderful, handle.. Then again.. full dresser has been used for years! and years! oops.. that is what I mean.. too much gets accumulated. STASH. :)

chairjogger 01-12-2011 07:02 AM

Pinapple quilt. one for me and one for another. GOOD FOR YOU! have been quilting for over 30 years and always for others.. gave away what I did.. and did not take pictures! wish I had done that too!

whinnytoo 01-12-2011 07:05 AM

My scraps are stored in those plastic shoe box type storage bins, sorted by color. when I have spare time I cut them into strips and squares so they are ready to use!
Its a real time saver when you get to making scrap quilts.

mtntopstitcher 01-12-2011 07:08 AM

Go to www.Quiltville.com and checkout her Scrap users system.

pflum1 01-12-2011 07:09 AM

I use my accuquilt "go" and cut into squares or strips. Then I store in stackable drawers with the color and size marked on the front. If I don't have several squares or strips of the same color, that goes in the mixed color drawer. When I'm ready to make a quilt, I get the colors I want out of the drawers. If the squares are as big as a fat quarter, they go in a different drawer, again by color.

Ally 01-12-2011 07:26 AM

I SORT MY SCRAPS BY COLOR AND SIZE. IF I HAVE 1/4 YD OR LESS IT GOES IN ONE BOX AND IF 1/4 YD TO 1 YD IT GOES IN ANOTHER. ANYTHING MORE THAN 1 YD IS FAIR GAME FOR ANOTHER QUILT.

QultingaddictUK 01-12-2011 07:54 AM

I have a couple of large boxes under my bed, and some more in my quilting area but the best way of storing that I have found for my quilting class is an unused Shopping trolley :idea: works a treat, and a reasonable size :twisted: