Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Scraps - what to do with them? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/scraps-what-do-them-t176328.html)

raedar63 01-20-2012 01:57 PM

Scraps is about all I work with . Crumbs,strings,patches you name it. I have bought many boxes of scraps this size . Please do not thorw these away so much can be done with them . Many ,many people on this board alone will pay postage for them if you are pitching them. I as well as many,many others use anything over one inch!

Dyan 01-20-2012 02:13 PM

Scraps that is the best part, all I make is scrap quilts....LOVE THEM

Tartan 01-20-2012 02:13 PM

Look at Bonnie Hunter's www.quiltville site to see if anything there tickles your fancy. If not, I just gifted a big bag of scraps to someone at my quilt guild. I just mark the bag free scraps and it only takes a few minutes for them to dissapear and I never have to see them again. I do have an ongoing Spiderweb scrap quilt from Bonnie's site that I have saved a tub of scraps for. Many on QB will take them off your hands and will pay the postage too.

hensandhollyhocks 01-20-2012 02:46 PM

Scraps are my favorites! I buy yardages, but prefer the scraps I find along the way. You never know what you will end up with when used in a quilt.

RST 01-20-2012 03:45 PM

My avatar quilt is all scraps, none of them bigger than 3". Sort them by general color, start stitching them together, press, trim, stitch some more, and you have "free" fabric to work into any number of projects.

hobbykat1955 01-20-2012 04:11 PM

I only keep scraps I can cut for Dresden plates or use for 2 1/2 sq cuts...otherwise they go in the garbage...to much stuff

scraphq 01-20-2012 04:35 PM

I just cringe when I hear of someone wanting to throw scraps in the garbage! What a waste. Please call your local quilting group and ask someome to pick them up. I belong to a rather large group and the scraps are put on the free table and they disappear like lightning. Wonderful quilts are being made from scraps. Please don't let them go to waste.

texpat45 01-20-2012 04:53 PM

I love scraps...I have crumb blocks & string blocks going all the time, plus I do applique & crazy quilts. Lots & lots of things to do with scraps of any size! I'll pay postage!

cabbagepatchkid 01-20-2012 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by raedar63 (Post 4893863)
Scraps is about all I work with . Crumbs,strings,patches you name it. I have bought many boxes of scraps this size . Please do not thorw these away so much can be done with them . Many ,many people on this board alone will pay postage for them if you are pitching them. I as well as many,many others use anything over one inch!

Yep....everything she said!!!

mucky 01-20-2012 05:36 PM

I paid $10.00 to send a bag of scraps to a lady on the quilt board and didd't even get a PM to say she received them let alone a thank you so will try to find someone from my quilt guild that wants them.