Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Seam coming out... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/seam-coming-out-t294070.html)

Watson 01-15-2018 08:52 AM

Seam coming out...

1 Attachment(s)
I am quilting this and have come across a seam that is coming out.

What is the best, most un-noticeable way to fix this? Luckily, the batting is black.

Watson
(Don't mind the dog hair.:D)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]587120[/ATTACH]

Garden Gnome 01-15-2018 08:55 AM

Can you sew it by hand with an invisible stitch?

ArtsyOne 01-15-2018 08:56 AM

First, I would thread a hand-sewing needle with matching thread. I would not knot the thread because it would be stuck on the top. Then I would take a couple of stitches to knot the beginning, then go along the seam with a back-and-forth motion, hoping to be sewing inside the seam allowances. At the end I would take 2-3 small stitches to knot it.

Tartan 01-15-2018 09:43 AM

If the seam is coming out, chances are it's frayed. I might slip a little strip of fusible under the edge and fix the edge and then hand sew it shut.

MaryKatherine 01-15-2018 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by Tartan (Post 7983450)
If the seam is coming out, chances are it's frayed. I might slip a little strip of fusible under the edge and fix the edge and then hand sew it shut.

That's the method I use. Depending on where the seam, is and where the quilting is going to fall, sometimes I don't sew it after the fusing.

Barb in Louisiana 01-15-2018 03:23 PM

Because of several seams coming apart at the edges of blocks, I have learned to sew my seams with a 2.0 stitch. If there are a lot of seams on the edge of the quilt, I will put a stay stitch about 1/8 to 3/16ths inch around the edge after all the blocks are sewn together. I will use a 2.5 at that time, because the thread will keep the edges from coming apart. I haven't had to fix a seam in the middle after I have started quilting, but I am sure one day I will. "smile" All these answers will help when I do.

Teen 01-15-2018 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by Barb in Louisiana (Post 7983625)
Because of several seams coming apart at the edges of blocks, I have learned to sew my seams with a 2.0 stitch. If there are a lot of seams on the edge of the quilt, I will put a stay stitch about 1/8 to 3/16ths inch around the edge after all the blocks are sewn together. I will use a 2.5 at that time, because the thread will keep the edges from coming apart. I haven't had to fix a seam in the middle after I have started quilting, but I am sure one day I will. "smile" All these answers will help when I do.

i do a stay stitch, also. I typically will do this for all seams at the edge for my LAQ, too. I read a blog from LAQ and this was a "prepping quilt for LAQ" step and I've just done it ever since.

I don't know a remedy beyond the recommendations here on what to do if it occurs in the middle of quilt. Yikes... But, I'd definitely use interfacing to stabilize it first before hand stitching.

ragamuffin 01-15-2018 08:34 PM

I would knot the thread, use it in the seam allowance, and tunnel stitch it shut. For the tunnel stitch, slip the needle through the fold of one side and then catch the other side, then tunnel thru again. When close to the end, I would pull the thread and it will close. I would try to use a small knot then and pull it through as if you were hand quilting. I do this a lot and some people look at it and ask where I stitched. Try it!

soccertxi 01-16-2018 07:32 AM

I would just do an applique stitch and bury the knots. I like the suggestion of a bit of fusible if the seams are tiny.

maviskw 01-16-2018 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan (Post 7983450)

I doesn't look like it is frayed. It looks like there is no thread there. I would hand sew that small area closed with invisible stitches. Take just a thread or two from one side and then a thread or two from the other. With matching thread, this probably won't show at all.