Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Seam on quilt backs (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/seam-quilt-backs-t228674.html)

lclang 08-26-2013 04:32 AM

There are NO hard and fast rules in quilting. Do what you want and find your own preferences. There are no quilt police and there is no quilter's jail.

BellaBoo 08-26-2013 04:34 AM

Here is instructions for the diagonal pieced backing. This looks scary but it really works.

http://www.flynnquilt.com/media/uplo...onalpb1103.pdf

maviskw 08-26-2013 05:09 AM

[QUOTE=ckcowl;6253398]if your quilt is large- and your backing is seamed vertically - when it is rolled up on the take up rollers it builds in the center-layer upon layer upon layer-building bulk 4-layers at a time-where there is only one layer on the rest of the backing- causing (baggy-saggy) outside edges- when the backing is pieced horizontally - when you load it & roll it- the seam lays nice & flat-straight along the bar- no bulky build up in the center of the backing- it does not make a huge difference when the quilts are fairly small- but the larger it is the more build up bulk since with each turn of the bar is another 4 layers of fabric in the center.....QUOTE]

I don't understand the 4 layers of fabric. If you press the seams to one side, that gives you 2 extra layers of fabric. And if you press the seam open, you would have only one extra layer. If your fabric is quilting cotton, I would think this little bit would disappear into the batting. And as long-armers have said on this thread, they have not really had a problem. I wouldn't worry about it.

margecam52 08-26-2013 06:28 AM

The idea is that a seam running vertically will cause a bump down the center when rolled onto a frame, and that causes the backing to sag on either side. I haven't had an issue with the "sagging"...it's there, but hasn't caused an issue.

That said, about two years ago, I started trying to have my seams run horizontally...no sagging at all & the selvage edge is what gets pinned to the leaders...and those selvages make it easy to be sure the backing is straight on the frame.

Remember, there are as many ways to do something as there are people doing them....this is definately true in quilting...you just do what works for you...don't worry about what others say.

Originally Posted by peacefulquilting (Post 6253348)
Hello to all,

I've only heard recently that "you shouldn't be putting your seam vertically on the quilt back!!" (Almost like it was a crime or something) I use a long arm to quilt my quilts, and have never heard of such a "rule" - what reasoning is there behind this? :hunf:

Thanks in advance.

teddysmom 08-26-2013 06:49 AM

Originally Posted by BETTY62 (Post 6255490)
Good to know. Where is the best place to order the wider backing?

Connecting Threads has the wider backing. Have used them before and have had no problem.

judykay 08-26-2013 08:26 AM

I do both as most of the time I make large pieces from left over front for a scrappy back and use both vertical and horizontal seams. There are no quilt police only those who think they know all. Do it how you like it to look and don't worry about what someone else thinks it should be. When I am indecisive about something but I like it and someone else doesn't I just ask myself well what if the other person did like it.

vanessaodom 08-26-2013 09:54 AM

IMHO, sheeting makes a great quilt back. At today's prices, the flat sheets are cheap, have no seams and make a pretty alternative to plain fabric and solves the seam problem.

quilter2090 08-26-2013 03:02 PM

Check out John Flynn's website. He has a way of making seams that do not tent in the middle.

judykay 08-26-2013 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by vanessaodom (Post 6256583)
IMHO, sheeting makes a great quilt back. At today's prices, the flat sheets are cheap, have no seams and make a pretty alternative to plain fabric and solves the seam problem.

I have never heard of these, please explain what they are and where to purchase. Thanks!!

maviskw 08-26-2013 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by judykay (Post 6257317)
I have never heard of these, please explain what they are and where to purchase. Thanks!!

I think she means bed sheets. Sometimes you can buy them not in sets, and can buy the top sheet separately.