Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Seams pressed open (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/seams-pressed-open-t193512.html)

chips88 07-03-2012 03:48 PM

i press my seams open

jeemmerling621 07-03-2012 04:03 PM

I press my seams open when working with very small pieces, and to the darkest fabric for everything else. I have never felt the need to ask for permission to do what works for me, and neither should you :).

Silver Needle 07-03-2012 04:32 PM

I have started pressing all my seams open. My sister-in-law said that is the way her grandmother always did it and she was a prolific quilter. I make my stitch length pretty short and treat ends of the pieces carefully when matching seams. I like the way the seams match much better. I do think you need to match the thread to the fabric a little closer.

abc123retired 07-03-2012 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by burchquilts (Post 5336379)
That's true. Plus it makes matching seams easier. And you never have to worry with those pressing diagrams or pressing direction problems.

That's the way I do it and I use glue to help me match and sew. Since I never have to worry about which way to press, I think it goes just as fast as sandwiching those seams. Besides, my needles and sewing machine like it better that way. And I can design as I go without undoing anything.

Sewnoma 07-03-2012 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by gollytwo (Post 5336239)
I almost always press to the dark side; I only press the seams open when otherwise I'd have bunching of fabric

This is how I do it, too.

I think that whatever works for you, that's the "right" way to do it. (Until you find a better way, so don't stop experimenting!)

Arleners 07-04-2012 04:52 AM

I believe the press the seam allowance to the side goes way back to when quilts were hand pieced. This gave stability to the seams. As batting and thread improves, and most seams are machine pieced, the option to press the seam allowance open is more appropriate.

teddysmom 07-04-2012 05:06 AM

Originally Posted by Arleners (Post 5337650)
I believe the press the seam allowance to the side goes way back to when quilts were hand pieced. This gave stability to the seams. As batting and thread improves, and most seams are machine pieced, the option to press the seam allowance open is more appropriate.

I understand that pressing the seams open is done for machine piecing but I'm HAND piecing and it still seems to work better for me.

teddysmom 07-04-2012 05:09 AM

Originally Posted by NJ Quilter (Post 5336454)
I come from a garment sewing background as well. I tried going to the 'dark side' in quilting and quickly evolved to pressing all my seams open whenever possible. I, too, find it makes a much flatter and easier to (hand) quilt project. Go with what works for YOU.

Thanks, NJ Quilters! I've already decided that pressing seams open for hand piecing and quilting is the way to go for me. No need to worry about Quilt Police because I'm not going to tell them where I live!

Quilter'sNook 07-05-2012 03:20 AM

There are a couple of situations where pressing the seams open are an issue. If you're planning to stitch in the ditch - you will be stitching only over the threads that connect the top together, not very secure. If you use a batting that is not made from long fibers (less expensive) there is a tendency, over time, for those short fibers to work their way up & out, bearding, to make the quilt appear fuzzy. Otherwise - go for it!

teddysmom 07-05-2012 03:39 AM

Originally Posted by Quilter'sNook (Post 5340098)
There are a couple of situations where pressing the seams open are an issue. If you're planning to stitch in the ditch - you will be stitching only over the threads that connect the top together, not very secure. If you use a batting that is not made from long fibers (less expensive) there is a tendency, over time, for those short fibers to work their way up & out, bearding, to make the quilt appear fuzzy. Otherwise - go for it!

I'm going to be quilting 1/8" from seam so I'll be quilting through the open pressed fabric on each side of seam. I think that should make the seams secure. What do you think? I'll also be using Quilters Dream Request for the batting.