Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Second question of the day (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/second-question-day-t107612.html)

Roberta 03-14-2011 10:25 AM

It appears I'm on a roll with questions today. My FW suddenly won't sew. When the needle goes down the bobbin holder, the part that the bobbin fits into, seems to hit underneath and you can't sew. I'm wondering if this is something I can fix myself or will it have to be sent out for service? Also the needle seems off center no matter how many times I take it out and put it back in. It doesn't quite hit the hole.

I'm thinking that maybe the bobbin holder, shuttle or whatever it's called, doesn't move completely around but is supposed to hit that little piece but I know the needle should fit down in the hole. I was in the hospital for a hip replacement, then in a rehab facility, came home and my machine doesn't work. Unless my DH or cat was trying to sew with it I have no idea what happened since I had sewed with it right before I had surgery. :|

erstan947 03-14-2011 10:31 AM

Make sure your needle is in correctly. The flat side of the needle faces the left. Thread the needle from right to left.
You might get a different bobbin and Set your machine up from scratch to sew. Your bobbin case may not be in place just right. Just a thought.

milp04 03-14-2011 10:41 AM

Check out all of the FW threads on our board and any You Tube videos about FW. Have you completed the regular cleaning and maintenance on your machine. There is a series of steps to take when having these similiar problems, like checking the needle, the bobbin area, re-threading, etc. There is a member who is very good with machine issues, so check with them. (I'm sorry I can't remember the name and contact information right at this moment.)

Pam M

irishrose 03-14-2011 11:39 AM

Put in a new needle. It may have become bent when it nicked the bobbin case.

Minnisewta 03-14-2011 07:49 PM

Is the needle bent?

Roberta 03-15-2011 12:26 PM

I've tried all the suggestions to fix my FW needle problem. I put in a new needle, rethreaded the bobbin into the case, everything I could think of and it still strikes something and won't go down to sew. Very frustrating and I'm lost without my FW. I use it for most of my sewing but I guess I'll have to go back to my Janome.

ewecansew 03-15-2011 12:34 PM

Make sure the needle plate is on correctly. If someone took it off, they may not have got it back on properly with that little finger on the shuttle going into the little groove on the bottom of the needle plate.

Roberta 03-15-2011 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by ewecansew
Make sure the needle plate is on correctly. If someone took it off, they may not have got it back on properly with that little finger on the shuttle going into the little groove on the bottom of the needle plate.

I'm going to check that out tomorrow, thanks.

bigsister63 03-15-2011 01:48 PM

There may be a burr on the bobbin case itself that will not let it cycle correctly. remove bobbin case and check. If so then it ususally needs to be taken to machine hospital.