Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Secret Santa Ideas for 2017 (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/secret-santa-ideas-2017-a-t284846.html)

Jane Quilter 12-31-2016 06:03 AM

Secret Santa Ideas for 2017

June Billie writes in the Secret Santa 2016 Signups Thread:

Sulabug, I think your idea of asking things people like so you can begin on some projects for the next year is great. That would be a great idea throughout the year to have a thread of its own to help others out for ideas. People could even share once in a while things they find when out looking around without necessarily naming the places for others to think about. Then everyone could have a start with lots of fun throughout the year, and still find out some main specifics the SS would want when they get their special name. Just my 2cents. :)

I too struggled my first year as a Secret Santa, and longed for ideas. I wished I had collected from store sales all year and kept a box ready to toss into such items as well as the items I have too many of that others could use. I could have made some projects out of fabrics in my stash had I thought of it early enough.

So, future SS, lets list some ideas and super sale announcements (like 70& off and store closings) throughout the year in the spirit of helping newbie Secet Santas for 2017. I will start with a thoughtful, easy to make gift that would be appreciated by anyone on this board, a pot-holder out of an UFO:

http://i1104.photobucket.com/albums/...psqelxlcje.jpg

daisydawg 12-31-2016 08:57 AM

this such a good idea, I was in a Secret Santa swap on another board and it was difficult to do without ideas of what to get. This sounds like something I would like to do.

Onebyone 12-31-2016 09:08 AM

I"m not part of this secret santa group but do belong to one secret pal group. QIAD has the fat quarter bags for $19.99 today and that would make a great SS or SP gift. Also watch the daily specials a MSQC. I get a lot of nice items for gifts during the year. Fat Quarter Shop has the daily Flash Sales that are up to 90% some days.

pyffer3 12-31-2016 11:05 AM

I,too, watch MSQC. Sometimes they throw in freebies with their order and I will pass them on!

SulaBug 12-31-2016 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by Jane Quilter (Post 7729702)
June Billie writes in the Secret Santa 2016 Signups Thread:

Sulabug, I think your idea of asking things people like so you can begin on some projects for the next year is great. That would be a great idea throughout the year to have a thread of its own to help others out for ideas. So, future SS, lets list some ideas and super sale announcements (like 70& off and store closings) throughout the year in the spirit of helping newbie Secet Santas for 2017. I will start with a thoughtful, easy to make gift that would be appreciated by anyone on this board, a pot-holder out of an UFO:

http://i1104.photobucket.com/albums/...psqelxlcje.jpg

Jane Quilter............I Love your pot holder & I was thinking that I have so many blocks already made from block exchanges that I could easily make a few of them or I could even make table runners!! I am so glad that you started this thread. I am working on my first project for next year & so far I am paper piecing a 5 1/2" butterfly block that will go on my project. I don't want to say much more because I don't want everyone to figure it out already!! :D Yesterday I printed two more patterns, one for a Christmas ornament & one for a very cute pincushion. WOW, I am really excited about this & I think most everyone will be too. Jane thank you for making this thread.
:D :D :D :D

JuneBillie 12-31-2016 05:04 PM

Jane silly me. I went looking 3 times on the other thread to find this. lol... Was happy to see it here. I am just now getting back about it due to my computer having a few problems.

The potholder is a great idea, and I also have blocks that were from my exchanges when I was in it.

I have been looking around on pinterest for ideas, and any links I wonder off to, and if I find something that looks good for the Secret Santa I book mark it to my gift folder on my tool bar.

This will be a fun thread all year long. I am going to find me a box just for these things. :)

SulaBug 01-01-2017 02:14 AM

My first project for S.S. 2017 is coming along nicely!! :D

Happ New Year everyone!!

lovelyl 01-01-2017 04:26 AM

I have participated in other SS groups and one suggestion was, if you make something like an ornament from a free, downloaded pattern, include a copy of the pattern so the recipient can make it if they want. Just be sure to not copy a purchased pattern or anything protected by a copyright!

SulaBug 01-01-2017 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by lovelyl (Post 7730442)
I have participated in other SS groups and one suggestion was, if you make something like an ornament from a free, downloaded pattern, include a copy of the pattern so the recipient can make it if they want. Just be sure to not copy a purchased pattern or anything protected by a copyright!

I am so glad that you shared this great idea with all of us. I am planning on doing the same for 2017. My S.S. for 2016 asked for a pattern for one of the items that I made for her & it would have been so easy to include it in her package. But I did mail it to her after the fact!!

SulaBug 01-03-2017 11:35 AM

Hey...........where is every body today? :D I am still working on my first gift for 2017 S.S. & I am liking it so much that I want to keep it!! :D But I will be good & save it for my next partner!!