Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   To See If Anybody is Interested - US and International Round Robin III (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/see-if-anybody-interested-us-international-round-robin-iii-t54331.html)

vovoa 07-21-2010 05:58 AM

Since I didn't get any response (I know everyone is really excited about this RR) I am going to post it again. Thanks for everyones opinion.

I'm excited also. I have started my center but need your guys opinion. I'm doing a trapunto flower basket center. I have marked it for quilting and have done the trapunto with the disolving thread. Now, it isn't anything really pretty to look at yet because it is a solid color with quilting marks and big puffs but it is a beautiful color. I was going to let everyone else add the accent colors, etc. Does that sound ok???

tlrnhi 07-21-2010 06:05 AM

Originally Posted by vovoa
Since I didn't get any response (I know everyone is really excited about this RR) I am going to post it again. Thanks for everyones opinion.

I'm excited also. I have started my center but need your guys opinion. I'm doing a trapunto flower basket center. I have marked it for quilting and have done the trapunto with the disolving thread. Now, it isn't anything really pretty to look at yet because it is a solid color with quilting marks and big puffs but it is a beautiful color. I was going to let everyone else add the accent colors, etc. Does that sound ok???

Don't overthink your center. If YOU like it, that's all that counts. I can pretty much guarantee, you'll love the final look of it once you get it back.

mswordwiz 07-21-2010 06:48 AM

Starting on my center !

rejenea 07-21-2010 06:53 AM

Can we request to be in a group that has no international mailing?

tlrnhi 07-21-2010 07:13 AM

Originally Posted by rejenea

If you aren't able to fund the international part of the mailing, I will put you mailing to someone within the US. That DOES NOT mean that there won't be someone in the group that lives abroad.
Like I said before,,,it's hard on everyone to send internationally and it's usually ALWAYS the same people sending overseas/Canada in every swap. That's not the fair thing to do. Everyone has economic/money problems at times, even those that CAN afford the international shipping. So, for everyone to say they would prefer to ship to US addys only is hard.
Another thing to remember is....international (Europe/Canada) HAVE to spend the extra money to ship, and they are not complaining about it. The only time the shipping gets really bad is when it's almost at the end of the "game" and the top is reaching a heavy weight and/or people have included extra items such as fat quarters (gifts to center owner) and whatnot.

***I'm not singling you out with quoting you, but I have had many, MANY pm's asking me this same question, so I thought I would put it on the thread.

lavandula girl 07-21-2010 07:34 AM

Would it be possible for someone who has done the int'l shipping in the past, and been very successful in terms of time-of-ship and the pkg definitely getting to its destination to tell us EXACTLY what they did? (When we get closer to the time of starting this RR, of course) I do a lot of seed trading internationally, and would be happy to ship that way, but have found that it helps to know EXACTLY what to note on the pkgs, and how much to insure for, etc. I have found that it pays to know these things (gift or not, value, etc) to avoid it being held up at customs, or slowed down for extra processing by the mail service. :-D

tlrnhi 07-21-2010 07:42 AM

We have always told everyone who is shipping internationally/Canada to always mark the Customs Forms as GIFT. Then to make the value no more than $20 as the amount. That way, Duty Tax isn't paid by the recipient. The ONLY people I know of that have had problems getting their packages are those in Canada. Haven't heard of anyone in Europe are having any problems.

What I have always done is....
I check GIFT.
I check the block that says RETURN TO SENDER if not deliverable (it's on the right side of the form)
I put the description as FABRIC and put $20 as the amount.

I've never had any problem sending this way. Ok, I did have one problem sending from Guam to West Virginia where the recipient was charged a duty tax. Apparently the postmaster there didn't know that Guam is a Territory of the US and there is NO duty tax to be collected. I had put the amount of the description as $500 only because of the insurance that was put on the package.
That was the ONLY time I had ever had a problem or heard of a problem when I shipped a package.

rejenea 07-21-2010 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by tlrnhi

Originally Posted by rejenea

If you aren't able to fund the international part of the mailing, I will put you mailing to someone within the US. That DOES NOT mean that there won't be someone in the group that lives abroad.
Like I said before,,,it's hard on everyone to send internationally and it's usually ALWAYS the same people sending overseas/Canada in every swap. That's not the fair thing to do. Everyone has economic/money problems at times, even those that CAN afford the international shipping. So, for everyone to say they would prefer to ship to US addys only is hard.
Another thing to remember is....international (Europe/Canada) HAVE to spend the extra money to ship, and they are not complaining about it. The only time the shipping gets really bad is when it's almost at the end of the "game" and the top is reaching a heavy weight and/or people have included extra items such as fat quarters (gifts to center owner) and whatnot.

***I'm not singling you out with quoting you, but I have had many, MANY pm's asking me this same question, so I thought I would put it on the thread.

In order to be fair I must unfortunately remove myself from this round robin. Sorry for any inconvenience. I should have checked into this at the beginning. So, I believe I will stick to the swaps because of the smaller packages. I will still follow the link to see how everyone's tops turn out. Have fun everyone and thanks a lot for all your help. :thumbup:

STAR 07-21-2010 08:07 AM

I plan on selling (try) some patterns and fabric that I don't really want to help me pay for postage in this swap ;) and If I can find some time maybe even some simple quilt tops for cheap.

lavandula girl 07-21-2010 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by tlrnhi
We have always told everyone who is shipping internationally/Canada to always mark the Customs Forms as GIFT. Then to make the value no more than $20 as the amount. That way, Duty Tax isn't paid by the recipient. The ONLY people I know of that have had problems getting their packages are those in Canada. Haven't heard of anyone in Europe are having any problems.

What I have always done is....
I check GIFT.
I check the block that says RETURN TO SENDER if not deliverable (it's on the right side of the form)

I put the description as FABRIC and put $20 as the amount.

I've never had any problem sending this way. Ok, I did have one problem sending from Guam to West Virginia where the recipient was charged a duty tax. Apparently the postmaster there didn't know that Guam is a Territory of the US and there is NO duty tax to be collected. I had put the amount of the description as $500 only because of the insurance that was put on the package.
That was the ONLY time I had ever had a problem or heard of a problem when I shipped a package.

Thanks! Looking forward to this starting!