Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Seeing is Believing - Pre-washing (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/seeing-believing-pre-washing-t181892.html)

#1piecemaker 03-07-2012 04:10 AM

Originally Posted by Jan in VA (Post 5037939)
OMG, for the first split second that I saw the picture I thought there were FROGS in that sink, LOL!!!

Jan in VA

hehehehe! Me too! heheheheh!!

Daylesewblessed 03-07-2012 04:36 AM

Originally Posted by faykilgore (Post 5038233)
I've never heard of Retayne. Where do you find it? Do you use it for all fabric or just the ones that "run?"

Fay,

Retayne is a product that "sets" dye rather than "catching" it. The only place I have seen it sold other than on-line is LQS, and then sometimes I have to ask to have it ordered. Others on the board may be able to tell us some other sources.

I use it on all reds -- I just do a whole washer load at one time. Other colors I test first and then Retayne if needed.

Dayle

indymta 03-07-2012 06:06 AM

Thanks for the photos. I prewash fabric that I use in baby quilts so there are no chemicals, etc but don't prewash for my quilts. You've convinced me to just do it for all my fabrics.

runninL8 03-07-2012 06:34 AM

A picture is worth a thousand words!!! Thanks for the visual - I'm going to prewash from now on!

lfw045 03-07-2012 06:46 AM

Question.........has anyone had the colors ever run using cold instead of lukewarm water when washing?

ghostrider 03-07-2012 07:04 AM

Originally Posted by lfw045 (Post 5038727)
Question.........has anyone had the colors ever run using cold instead of lukewarm water when washing?

Yes, I have. Reds and blacks mostly, and a few darker blues...batiks particularly. I honestly believe it's the wet, not the temp. I test by just wetting with a Q-tip to see if the dye transfers before I go to the expense of treating with Retayne. If it doesn't, I just prewash as usual.

lfw045 03-07-2012 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by ghostrider (Post 5038806)
Yes, I have. Reds and blacks mostly, and a few darker blues...batiks particularly. I honestly believe it's the wet, not the temp. I test by just wetting with a Q-tip to see if the dye transfers before I go to the expense of treating with Retayne. If it doesn't, I just prewash as usual.

Thanks, ghostrider. The reason I asked is that I generally do not prewash unless it is for a swap that I am a part of. I usually just complete the quilt and wash it in cold water with a couple of color catchers and have never had a problem. I like your Q-tip method. Thanks again.

Candace 03-07-2012 07:47 AM

I prewash all my fabric in at least warm water. Why? Because I want all the bleeding, shrinking, and possible fading to happen before I invest a huge amount of time cutting it and making it into a quilt. And really, I suspect any quilt that leaves my door will be going into a washer with warm or hot water in its future. I have no control of how the owner will care for it. So, I try to make sure it's toughened up a bit and won't self destruct once it leaves my house:>

turner0106 03-07-2012 07:54 AM

Has anyone every used one of the color catchers they sell in the laundry isle? Not sure of the name brand

joyce888 03-07-2012 08:20 AM

Oh wow; I think I should buy stock in Retayne!