Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Seeing is Believing - Pre-washing (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/seeing-believing-pre-washing-t181892.html)

bearisgray 03-08-2012 12:49 PM

Actually, I have some fabrics from over ten years ago that are only 40-42 inches wide. (Robert Kaufman for one - I had "assumed" that the fabric was 45 inches wide - and then had to piece the backing to make it wide enough - )

It is a myth that "most" quilting/calico fabrics are/were 44-45 inches wide. Some are - many are not.

It may be that you are only noticing the narrower widths now -

In fact, some of the so-called "better" brands are usually narrower than the VIP fabrics were.

When buying fabric, it is a good thing to check the fabric width - a couple of inches can matter a lot.

JanieH 03-08-2012 02:12 PM

Thanks for the photo. Amazing!

IAmCatOwned 03-08-2012 02:54 PM

I don't prewash except for swaps and certain dark fabrics and I will continue to do so. My choice - I tell beginners to wash. :)

<how do you keep the fabric from fraying and tangling in the washer and, after washing>
Wash on delicate cycle. There is no need to go through an entire wash and beat up your fabric. A lot less strings. Also, Rubesgirl, I love the quilt in your avatar. Is that all it is? H's? What a happy quilt!

nstitches4u 03-08-2012 05:26 PM

Thanks for the demo. I'm from Missouri and you showed me! lol

Rubesgirl 03-08-2012 05:39 PM

Thanks, IamCatGirl! They are all H's, my GS's name is Harrison & I made the quilt for him fir Christmas 2011. He makes me Happy! :-)

jcrow 03-08-2012 05:52 PM

You know what this makes me think of? How many quilts have I given away without washing them? 30? Anyway, I never thought to ask any of the people if the fabric on the quilts bled. Now I'm worried that I gave people quilts that looked awful after they washed them. OMG!!! No one has said anything, but they probably wouldn't want to hurt my feelings. I never wash my fabric. I think I will wash the bold and dark fabrics for now on. Thanks for the picture. That said enough to me to want to start washing my dark fabrics.

Helen6869 03-08-2012 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by Jan in VA (Post 5037939)
OMG, for the first split second that I saw the picture I thought there were FROGS in that sink, LOL!!!

Jan in VA

haha
1 i thought it might be a snake. I too had to handwash (72) 21/2 inch wide batiks to make a kit I ordered from Keepsake quilting. This took forever but if I hadn't I don't know how many would have bled. I always, always, wash my fabric and if dark colors, hand wash them to see if they quit fading. Worth the time to me!

carolynjo 03-08-2012 07:15 PM

Do you think that the water could be the culprit in causing fabrics to bleed? I have had an occasional problem when I had well water or in Florida during a dry spell, but not continuously.

burchquilts 03-08-2012 08:16 PM

Yikes! I always try to prewash my fabrics before I use them but what do you do when using precuts? Just hope for the best?

kitsykeel 03-08-2012 09:00 PM

Hey Jan, I thought it was a snake. Kitsy