Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Seeking advice on an uncovered UFO (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/seeking-advice-uncovered-ufo-t38247.html)

978gray 02-28-2010 06:28 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Five or six years ago, I bought the Sunny Days Quilt Blocks from Joanns. At that point in my life - had been sewing for years and wanted to start quilting.

I dutifully made each block and then dutifully assembled using the setting kit. I knew nothing of squaring blocks, etc.

I put the top away, because some of the blocks did not line up, and I sewed past the points. The worst is off 1/4". Of course it is in the center section.

So, am I being too critical of myself and should get over it and finish, or should I take apart and try to match up.

Below is the exmples of my "mistakes" where the blocks do not meet.

On the good side - I did learn a lot from making this quilt and it was the start of the quilts I now make.

Thanks for any advice!!

One junction of about 1/8"
[ATTACH=CONFIG]25057[/ATTACH]

The worst off 1/4"
[ATTACH=CONFIG]25068[/ATTACH]

Sewed over the point.\
[ATTACH=CONFIG]25076[/ATTACH]

Quilter7x 02-28-2010 06:30 PM

Let these go and continue. You can hardly tell because of the mottled yellow fabric and I wouldn't worry about the green point being off by such a little amount. The blue one looks fine to me, I wouldn't take that apart at all. You're being too hard on yourself.

Can't wait to see the finished quilt! :D

littlehud 02-28-2010 06:32 PM

I think it's fine as is. Finish it and remember what you learned from it.

Scissor Queen 02-28-2010 06:44 PM

You're looking at it waaaaaaaaay too close!! Plus it's not quilted or washed yet.

isnthatodd 02-28-2010 06:54 PM

Remember the galloping horse :lol:

isnthatodd 02-28-2010 06:54 PM

Remember the galloping horse :lol:

athenagwis 02-28-2010 07:03 PM

I wouldn't worry about it either!! This is your first quilt and you should be proud of it "mistakes" and all. Though I must say, I pretty much always have seams off and points chopped in all the quilts I do and I love them (even though they weren't on purpose)! They show me that I still have more to learn. The day I make a perfect quilt is the day I will stop quilting.

Cheers!
Rachel

magnolia 02-28-2010 09:10 PM

All of my quilts come out like this. I just figure I will get better in the future. And, since it is the same colors that aren't lining up I don't worry about it too much. I think it looks great.

Karen 02-28-2010 09:49 PM

What great advice! I think i will take it myself and get my first top out and finish it! Thank you!

LucyInTheSky 02-28-2010 10:02 PM

I would not worry about it at all! It looks great, really not that off, and it was one of your first quilts. Remember, a person riding a horse going 60 mph past your quilt will never notice! (that's my rule of thumb for when to worry about stuff)