Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Seeking advice... what could we have done differently? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/seeking-advice-what-could-we-have-done-differently-t69929.html)

bob1414 10-14-2010 07:12 AM

Since I started selling batik fabric, I have shipped quite a few orders internationally.
Here's what I would have done -
I would have emailed the option of a) shipping it for $xxx in one package, or b) shipping it for $xxx in 2 packages to save shipping costs.

Rather than leave en email open-ended, I would have said, "If I don't have a reply from you in ___days, I will ship in one package at $xxx dollars.

To me, this gives the purchaser the option BUT you have set a limit on how long you would wait for a reply. I, personally, would not cut a customer's fabric into 2 pieces unless I was told it was OK. This is just how I would have handled it, I'm not saying what you did was right or wrong. We all try to do our best, don't we!!!

Phyl 10-14-2010 07:15 AM

Originally Posted by Favorite Fabrics
The heart of the problem, from my perspective, is that while we tried to contact the customer, she didn't respond (for whatever reason).

I've been mulling over all the suggestions proposed in this thread. Unfortunately, our shopping cart software isn't smart enough to be able to detect a "won't fit in the envelopes" issue. It's able to count how many yards are in an order, and divide by 8 to see how many envelopes are needed, but that's all.

So I'm thinking that what *would* be possible is to put a bit more information on our "international shipping" page. We can't guarantee that the customer would read it, of course (even with a checkbox!) but at least it would all be available.

How about this wording:

"If you order a length of fabric that is more than what will fit into a single envelope, we will e-mail you to ask you if you would prefer that we ship it all in one piece (at an additional charge). If we don't receive a reply within a week, we will cancel that item from your order."

Is this okay, or can anyone suggest an improvement on it?

(If you want to see what we've already included on our "international shipping information" page here's a short link: http://alturl.com/9nz4c As always, if there's anything that you think has been left out or should be added or isn't clear, I'd like to know about it!)

Fabulous!! That makes it really clear.
You won't run into any problems and if she REALLY wants it, she will get back to you! Perfect! (Having been in the retail business, you have to make good on lots of thing so your reputation is great. Bad press gets around awfully fast! ) Good luck to you. You sound like a very caring person.

dsb38327 10-14-2010 07:16 AM

The heart of the problem, from my perspective, is that while we tried to contact the customer, she didn't respond (for whatever reason).

I've been mulling over all the suggestions proposed in this thread. Unfortunately, our shopping cart software isn't smart enough to be able to detect a "won't fit in the envelopes" issue. It's able to count how many yards are in an order, and divide by 8 to see how many envelopes are needed, but that's all.

So I'm thinking that what *would* be possible is to put a bit more information on our "international shipping" page. We can't guarantee that the customer would read it, of course (even with a checkbox!) but at least it would all be available.

How about this wording:

"If you order a length of fabric that is more than what will fit into a single envelope, we will e-mail you to ask you if you would prefer that we ship it all in one piece (at an additional charge). If we don't receive a reply within a week, we will cancel that item from your order."

Is this okay, or can anyone suggest an improvement on it?

(If you want to see what we've already included on our "international shipping information" page here's a short link: http://alturl.com/9nz4c As always, if there's anything that you think has been left out or should be added or isn't clear, I'd like to know about it!)

Yes. I believe this is a good action on your part. Can it have a check box that prevents the buyer going forward without checking the box to say they read it.??

MaggieLou 10-14-2010 07:28 AM

I don't think you could have done anything differently. You tried to contact her and she didn't reply. In the future you might try putting a read receipt on the email and telling them if you don't get a reply within a reasonable time (insert time frame) you will cancel the order. You can't keep orders open forever.

Favorite Fabrics 10-14-2010 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by dsb38327
... Can it have a check box that prevents the buyer going forward without checking the box to say they read it.??

Even a checkbox wouldn't prove that the customer actually READ the information, merely that they had checked the box.

I'm thinking of all the Microsoft stuff I ever downloaded where I just checked the "agree to terms of service" box without reading more than the first paragraph or two.

Meaning that even the checkbox is not going to head off all possible complaints. There's just no way to FORCE someone to read what you want them to. Unfortunately.

Favorite Fabrics 10-14-2010 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by koko
Is there any way to add the approximate # of yards that do fit into a single envelope so they have an idea what would fit?

We already do post that on our international shipping information page.

Favorite Fabrics 10-14-2010 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by bob1414
Here's what I would have done -
I would have emailed the option of a) shipping it for $xxx in one package, or b) shipping it for $xxx in 2 packages to save shipping costs.

Rather than leave en email open-ended, I would have said, "If I don't have a reply from you in ___days, I will ship in one package at $xxx dollars.

To me, this gives the purchaser the option BUT you have set a limit on how long you would wait for a reply...

When we e-mailed her (twice) we did tell her the two shipping options and the costs, and in the second e-mail we told her that if we didn't hear from her by a specific date we would send her the fabric in two packages.

To send it all in one package would have cost more than what she originally agreed to, and to charge her an extra $15 without her permission would have been even more wrong IMHO. Doing that could get us in trouble with our credit card processor as well.

(sigh)

Next time we'll just cancel in the case of an uncommunicative buyer.

And then we'll get an angry e-mail for not shipping!

No way to win...

dsb38327 10-14-2010 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by dsb38327
... Can it have a check box that prevents the buyer going forward without checking the box to say they read it.??

Even a checkbox wouldn't prove that the customer actually READ the information, merely that they had checked the box.

I'm thinking of all the Microsoft stuff I ever downloaded where I just checked the "agree to terms of service" box without reading more than the first paragraph or two.

Meaning that even the checkbox is not going to head off all possible complaints. There's just no way to FORCE someone to read what you want them to. Unfortunately.

Yes, I agree. I am the world's worst at 'end user license agreements'. I don't read them, I click the box so I can go forward. :thumbup: I know by checking the box I am agreeing to their rules. :thumbup:
I also am not concerned with my email inbox. If I order something I would never think of checking my email to see if it has been shipped. I just expect it to arrive.
I am hoping the buyer is a Quiltingboard member so they know we all compliment your caring and concern for your customer and that we care for the buyer also as the customer.
You did a good job because you did what you thought you should do for the customer. Many things come with time. International shipping can be a nightmare. It will go perfect 99 times and the 100th time will make you want to drink your favorite beverage. You are enhancing your customer's experience. You didn't lay down and quit. That is to be admired and respected.
All you can do is all you can do. The best you can do is the best you can do.
I have often admired your fabrics. Don't let this wear you out.
I was happy that in all the responses you didn't get flogged even one time. You opened yourself up for help and you have gotten help, not harshness.
What would I do to turn this unhappy person into a satisfied customer? Ask her "What can we do to change this experience into a satisfying transaction for you?" The answer may be surprising and rewarding. Most times, people want to know they have been heard and that the listener is empathetic. They almost always appreciate knowing what actions you have taken to correct the situation for your customer base to prevent it happening again.
Tomorrow is a brand new day!

gaigai 10-14-2010 07:50 AM

To send it all in one package would have cost more than what she originally agreed to, and to charge her an extra $15 without her permission would have been even more wrong IMHO. Doing that could get us in trouble with our credit card processor as well.
Next time we'll just cancel in the case of an uncommunicative buyer.
And then we'll get an angry e-mail for not shipping!
No way to win...

I think you are right that it was a lose/lose situation. In the future it would be easier to cancel the order after x amount of days without a reply. You can explain that you were unwilling to cut the fabric without authorization, but that you also couldn't charge her credit card more than had been originally authorized. Unless you automatically charge the maximum rate up front and then refund the difference if it turns out to be less. Or offer a discount/credit/etc.

I do agree with Sarasewing somewhat, that if this person is a repeat customer, you should offer something to "make nice". It needn't be much, but it could help negate the bad feelings and perhaps influence a future order.

If the customer only knew how concerned you were about customer service, I believe she would (eventually) cool off and come around. But we do understand.

ADDENDUM: I totally agree with this post:
[/quote]What would I do to turn this unhappy person into a satisfied customer? Ask her "What can we do to change this experience into a satisfying transaction for you?" The answer may be surprising and rewarding. Most times, people want to know they have been heard and that the listener is empathetic. They almost always appreciate knowing what actions you have taken to correct the situation for your customer base to prevent it happening again.[/quote]

Annaquilts 10-14-2010 07:58 AM

I would not have shipped. One time I ordered 6 yards and it was send to me as 2 and 4 yards. I send it back. They had not contacted me eventhough I had put a note and phone number with the original order.

As was mentioned above most of the time people just want to be heard. The owner talked with me and send me a $50 voucher which I did not use. I did order again and then got the correct yardage cut or better no cuts.