Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Seersucker (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/seersucker-t48396.html)

Leota 06-05-2010 04:58 AM

Originally Posted by blahel
well i think if you can unsuck seersucker then shouldnt you also be able to resuck it?? (by washing it)

Yes.
I made a formal gown from seersucker (it wasn't puckered and I did not pre-wash it) I then took the left over and made dh a shirt... I washed it AFTER construction....ooopps... it shrank and puckered up so much he couldn't get it on.... double oops.... anyway... long story short... if you are going to us seer sucker prewash first regardless of what it's going to be used as and then press before construction if you don't want to deal with the puckers.

aardvarq 06-05-2010 05:11 AM

thread, no, lint, oh, I'm confuzed. :XD:

Leota 06-05-2010 05:15 AM

Originally Posted by aardvarq
thread, no, lint, oh, I'm confuzed. :XD:

seersucker is a fabric. that has built-in puckers... used a lot for summer wear.
usually striped

springtime 06-05-2010 05:17 AM

I was at a quilting class last Saturday to make a pinwheel quilt. Most folks were making them with 30's reproductions or original feed sacks! But, one lady made hers of beautiful bright seersucker prints and used a non-seersucker white background fabric. It was absolutely gorgeous! The fabrics sewed well and laid flat. If her experience is any indication, you will be happy with the results!
Blessings

kathy 06-05-2010 07:47 AM

I have some that I'm planning to use for binding, had thought of using it in a quilt, I think the texture would be good for a kid quilt but wondered about pressing. Now when I get home I'm going to press a piece then wet it and see if it sucks back up.

virtualbernie 06-05-2010 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by Leota

well i think if you can unsuck seersucker then shouldnt you also be able to resuck it?? (by washing it)

Yes.
I made a formal gown from seersucker (it wasn't puckered and I did not pre-wash it) I then took the left over and made dh a shirt... I washed it AFTER construction....ooopps... it shrank and puckered up so much he couldn't get it on.... double oops.... anyway... long story short... if you are going to us seer sucker prewash first regardless of what it's going to be used as and then press before construction if you don't want to deal with the puckers.

OOOHHHHH, thanks for the heads up! I didn't know it would shrink (I'm not normally a pre-washer) but I will pre-wash this! Thanks again!

craftybear 06-05-2010 08:37 PM

ha ha

craftybear 06-05-2010 08:38 PM

ha ha

Originally Posted by virtualbernie

Originally Posted by Leota

Yes.

OOOHHHHH, thanks for the heads up! I didn't know it would shrink (I'm not normally a pre-washer) but I will pre-wash this! Thanks again!

ProudGranny5 06-06-2010 06:22 AM

DD & I went to JoAnn's a while back & she picked out several Tutti Fruitti fabrics for me to make her uniform tops. She is a nurse. The reason she picked this fabric is because it is made from poly & cotton so she doesn't have to iron it. Her time is limited with 2 jobs & twins. Doesn't need to add ironing to it as well.

SherriB 06-06-2010 06:45 AM

I have a small pile of Tuttifruity fabric and was wondering what to do with it. I may try washing, ironing and re-washing a piece to see what happens.

I would love to make a quilt with my fabrics.