Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Self diagnosis.... Fabric/colorPick'nPhobic (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/self-diagnosis-fabric-colorpicknphobic-t43608.html)

Chele 04-30-2010 05:22 PM

You can do it! Close your eyes and pick out four fabrics. Just grab. Make a block of some kind. Pick a random block if you can. Don't plan anything. It may look icky, but you took the first step to being a quilt artist. You can get matchy matchy for your next project but this exercise will expand your creativity and open your mind.

baubo1234 05-05-2010 03:40 PM

Hi to all my quilting friends. I just learned today that my surgery is on May 10th, Monday. Thank you for all your prayers that you are sending for me. I will be glad to have this over and done with and get home to sew a new quilt that I just had to buy the fabric for today. lol. It is so summery looking, really pretty fabric from Moda called Spring Magic. I went into my favorite shop and told my hubby that I would only be a couple of minutes, lol, and came out with fabric, pattern, gift for a friend, 2 tablerunner kits, and a scissor charm for my embroidery scissors. I am also working on a crocheted doily that I started about 5 years ago and it has been packed away all this time. When I lost my husband 5 years ago, I lost our home and our 2 puppies also and moved into a very tiny apartment in the city where my family lives,( we lived 140 miles away from them) everything got put away and I couldn't seem to get interested in doing any of my crafts until last year, when I remarried and life was good again. Sorry, I am rambling here.

Anyway,the clerk said my hubby should know better..he does..and doesn't mind waiting for me. I also have 2 classes that I go to on the second Saturday at 2 different quilt shops at each end of town, so I am really glad I won't miss them this Saturday.

wildyard 05-05-2010 04:47 PM

baubo, I will be holding you close in my heart. You have to heal quickly cuz you have so many projects to work on!! Huggggs and smilessss.

thequilteddove 05-07-2010 02:17 PM

baubo, I'm just get'n around to getting caught up on my board reading. Have you had your surgery yet? I hope all went/goes well.

aliaslaceygreen 05-07-2010 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by vickig626
I was dealing with this and came up with this idea when I re-organized my stash.

I have an area for my stash has been coordinated with what I already have. I put these coordinated colors together and tie them gently with a ribbon. That way I know that pile goes together. Then I just stack them in this area so when I'm looking for fabric for a pattern, I look here first. I still usually have to buy more fabric to "go with" but at least I'm reducing my stash a bit.

We're working on a scrappy quilt at our guild so I bought a colorful border print but was able to pull all the other fabrics from my stash. I was very pleased with myself for being able to do that.... that doesn't usually happen.

Hope this helps!!

This is pretty much what I do too...and will be doing again as I clean out the studio this go-round....

It doesn't have to have a pattern dedicated to it, it doesn't have to be 3 1/2 yard and 1 fat quarter pieces, just three or four pieces that 'play nice'...

A solid(-ish) piece, maybe something with a large scale print, something with a smaller scale print, and a stripe, dot or tone on tone...you will be amazed at the number of 'collections' you have already!!! Then, you can shop with some purpose....because I would never want to tell you not to shop!!!

good luck!