Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Self-threading needles (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/self-threading-needles-t318343.html)

ahafun 05-26-2022 08:30 AM

Self-threading needles

Does anybody have any recommendations for self-threading needles that actually work and don't shred the thread? I would like to find some to use for embroidery threads, especially with the heavier perle cottons. I like them for big stitch quilting and applique, etc.

thanks!

Peckish 05-26-2022 08:54 AM

Which ones have you tried? I've only seen and used the Spiral Eye needles. TBH, I don't use them very often because I prefer to sew through my thread so that my needle doesn't come unthreaded.

RedGarnet222 05-26-2022 11:03 AM

I only use my self- threading needles to bury my knots from quilting. I tried to use them for hand sewing but, they are really tough on your fingers. I use the clover needle threader for my hand sewing now. But I don't think it would work with the larger thread you are talking about using.

ahafun 05-26-2022 11:08 AM

Well, I've never tried any at all! The thicker threads are a problem, even with a needle threader, and I've seen the self-threading ones used in some video demos that seemed to work well, and I just wanted to try them. I'm not sure what a spiral eye needle is - when I googled them, I clicked a link that took me to amazon and they appear to be needles that you thread by pressing the thread against the side so that it goes up into the eye - is that what you mean? That, actually, is what I have seen in videos.
And I don't know what you mean by "sew through my thread" - ?
I guess I just don't know much!

LAF2019 05-26-2022 01:16 PM

I have the side threading needles, and would find them very cumbersome to do any type of continuous hand sewing or embroidery. I find that the slit that takes the thread is easy to catch on the fibers of the fabric that I am going through and i have to un-snag nearly everytime. I use them only to bury threads, nothing repetitive.

Peckish 05-26-2022 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by ahafun (Post 8553349)
I'm not sure what a spiral eye needle is - when I googled them, I clicked a link that took me to amazon and they appear to be needles that you thread by pressing the thread against the side so that it goes up into the eye - is that what you mean?

Yes. Spiral Eye needles are in the "self-threading" category you asked about. You don't need to poke the end of the thread through the eye of the needle.

Originally Posted by ahafun (Post 8553349)
And I don't know what you mean by "sew through my thread" - ?

After I thread my needle, I stitch through the end of the thread that is close to the eye 3 times. By doing this, my needle won't come unthreaded, and it slips through the fabric easily.

Tartan 05-26-2022 03:41 PM

I use John James regular embroidery needles number 8 for perle cotton balls of embroidery thread. They are super sharp and have a nice big eye for easy threading .

quiltedsunshine 05-27-2022 07:24 PM

I've tried the ones with the slit on the side, and the slit snags on the fabric. The ones that you pop the thread through, snag and shred the thread. I don't like either one. There are heavier needle threaders out there for pearl cotton. I use a hummingbird threader for my regular threads. It works really well.