Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   To sell or not to sell (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/sell-not-sell-t187044.html)

Lois-nounoe 04-24-2012 06:31 PM

If puppies you still can only screen so far. After they are gone (quilts or puppies) you have no control. Sold kittens for a few years and still wonder how they all made out. LOL

carolv 04-24-2012 06:42 PM

I second the dont make a quilt unless you make what you want and then they can choose from your finished ones. I'm sitting on one now that I have over 180.00 in supplies. Full size. They have decided they would rather go gambling every weekend. Well at least I learned my lesson at the beginning of this endeavour. I would understand if they did not like the quilt after they saw it but, they never even came over to look. GGRRRRRR Oh well life goes on.
Now on the other side of the coin I have a friend who quilts all hers by hand and gets anywhere from 300.00 for crib size to 2000.00 for queen size with a 12 inch drop on all sides. Queen is the biggest she will do. There is money to be made out there. Good Luck in whatever you decide.
Carol

Jan in VA 04-24-2012 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by pioneerlady (Post 5166582)
I sold my quilts for awhile, made a good profit. I will not take orders for quilts, will only sell what I pick out. My experience with making a quilt that someone picks out was not pleasant, kept changing what she wanted. Another lady tried to avoid me when it came to paying me. The ones I made and then sold turned out to be a good experience. I keep track of my expenses, even to the thread, keep track of how much time I actually spend working on the quilt, the time it takes to quilt one. The lowest price I charged was $250.00 the highest was 450.00. Honestly, I was surprised how much people will pay for a hand made quilt. you are going to find people who don't appreciate hand made quilts, they won't buy one anyway. Good luck, it's a good feeling that a dollar amount is put on your work.
I've also given away alot of quilts.

Of all the replies I like this one the best, for me at least.
Make what YOU like.
Sell if you WANT to, for a market acceptable amount.
Recoup all your costs plus some slush funds.
Replenish your stash and supplies.
Smile.

Pretty much how I do it. :o

Jan in VA

GrannieAnnie 04-24-2012 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by pacquilter (Post 5166338)
I have a question: How do you cross over from giving quilts to selling them?
I've had people for years telling me that I should sell my quilts, but I've never been able to go there. There are several reasons for this:
It might sound crazy, but I can't seem to disconnect from my quilts unless I give them to someone I know and care about, or give them up for some kind of charity or worthy cause.
Another reason I don't sell is that I just don't know if I could get enough money to make it worth all the time, sweat and materials that go into making one. If I charged by the hour, we would be up in the thousands. (What my first grade teacher wrote on my report card is still true today, "she's slow, but thorough") :o
The other thing I'm wondering is that if you do it as a job, does it take the fun out of it? Or, on the other hand, is it great making money at something you enjoy?
I'm trying to get my head around this and be open to some new possibilities, as it sure would be nice to make some extra money, (if only to be able to continue my addiction.) But, I do wonder if some people are cut out for selling and others aren't.
Any and all points of view appreciated!

I'm a rank amateur compared to most quilters here, but I'll guarantee you one thing------------------I'd never take an order for a quilt someone else wanted. Guess it would take the fun out of it for me.

GrannieAnnie 04-24-2012 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by icon17 (Post 5166623)
I was making a Quilt, (Alice in Wonder land/Queen of Hearts) Was going back and forth to the store for fabrics. One of the ladys at the store just Fell in love with the Quilt!!!! Just HAD to have it!!!! SO I said OK! NOW You know very well how much all the fabrics/batting/thread and not to mention TIME!! Fabrics such as 'Alice' cost More!! This was 5x5.5 so I added up as best I could (I never kept records because at 1st it was for my own use) and told her she could have it for $120. Now thats Very Very Cheap! I even said she could make 1/2 at first! SHE backed out!!! said it was to much!!
SO As for me I don't think its worth the time people want something for nothing with all the stuff coming from over seas and very low $$ its hard to compete.

I'd pay $120. My older DD, even at 45, is one of Alice's biggest fans.

Bicycle Hobo 04-24-2012 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by pioneerlady (Post 5166582)
I sold my quilts for awhile, made a good profit. I will not take orders for quilts, will only sell what I pick out. My experience with making a quilt that someone picks out was not pleasant, kept changing what she wanted. Another lady tried to avoid me when it came to paying me. The ones I made and then sold turned out to be a good experience. I keep track of my expenses, even to the thread, keep track of how much time I actually spend working on the quilt, the time it takes to quilt one. The lowest price I charged was $250.00 the highest was 450.00. Honestly, I was surprised how much people will pay for a hand made quilt. you are going to find people who don't appreciate hand made quilts, they won't buy one anyway. Good luck, it's a good feeling that a dollar amount is put on your work.
I've also given away alot of quilts.

I really prefer to keep my business life separated from my private personal life. Sewing (and all the related activities) is one of the rare skills that straddle both areas of my life. I have been keeping them separate for about 30 years now. This is how do I do this.

I work (or had rather) in the fashion/garment industry for pay (rather a pittance). I sew at home for my own use and for personal relationships over the years. My skills are equally used in either case. To live, I must charge a fair amount for the products I make based on my own experience, the prevailing market allows, and what is now offered on online shops as well with similar products. Does it work? It did until the market crashed with the recession, bargain hunting mania, and of course others undercutting through ignorance and/or desperation. So my services waxes and wanes with the resulting demand (or lack of it). Right now, I decided that the best road for me is to keep my skills hidden at home until the day arrives that labor and materials costs will be fairly paid for by the consumer. It will probably be a very long wait. I rather just sew/quilt at home & go back to a paper stamping government job before I accept slave wages & giving the store away ever again.

earthwalker 04-25-2012 12:41 AM

I'm in agreement with Pioneerlady and Jan in Va. More of a do-able idea for me....I just need to practice my machine quilting and get over the fear that everything I make is less than perfect...oh...and stop the nightmares...you know, the ones where all your quilts fall to bits on removal from the washing machine:)

paulettepoe 04-25-2012 01:03 AM

Have a 98 quilts under my belt. The one that gave me the most headache was the only one I did for money. Swore then, and swear now...will NEVER do another one for money.....just me tho.

emsgranny 04-25-2012 01:51 AM

I would love to sell sme quilts that I have done!! My problem is I am not sure where to sell them that you can get the prices I would need to recoup expenses - I have to send out to have mine quilted. I tried auctions, craft fairs and craigslist to no avail. Ifsomeone can help me please pm me thanks cheryl

nantucketsue 04-25-2012 03:05 AM

I agree with everyone here and I have never charged for a quilt, in fact even when I have been asked to make one and have received some of the fabric, I usually end up paying for wadding, backing etc., as I don't like to ask for the money. However, I am going to start laying down some ground rules and one is that I will not do panels, or pictures. I find these so limiting and unrewarding, especially when it comes to hand quilting. It becomes a reall chore.