Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Selling a Bernina? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/selling-bernina-t230546.html)

Mdaniels 09-18-2013 03:49 PM

Selling a Bernina?

I have a question I'd like some advisement on. I own several machines now, three of them older mechanical "vintage" Singers--I love them for what they represent to me. I also now have a Babylock Espire and a Bernina. Because I quilt, I have found the extra space and features of the Babylock are really what I need to do what I enjoy. The Bernina has found herself in her bag now for well over two months.

I purchased that Bernina used from a dealer for, I think, $800. I am considering selling. I am not using her. Would you try to sell back to the dealer or would you put an ad on Craiglist? I am silly for considering selling my Bernina?

Thanks.

Nammie to 7 09-18-2013 04:06 PM

If you are not using it and don't plan to then you should sell it. Check with your dealer and see what they would give you for it. Many only take machines in trade and don't buy outright.

Quilt Novice 09-18-2013 05:06 PM

Maybe you could sell it here?

Prism99 09-18-2013 05:15 PM

You could try Craigslist.

Also, you might want to post on the SewItsForSale group on Yahoo! Unfortunately, Yahoo has changed the format of all the groups so you may find it a little challenging to figure out how to join and how to post. I know the moderator mentioned that the rules for posting will have to change because Yahoo has disabled some of the old features and changed others. Still, it might be worth joining if you have the patience to work through the new Yahoo format. The nice thing about it is that there is no fee associated with advertising and selling your item. The worst thing (to me, anyway) is that you must be ***very*** careful when packaging a machine for shipment. If you do that, be sure to research thoroughly on the internet before packaging, as machines are easily damaged in transit if you don't know what you are doing. Of course, you could luck out and find someone in your area who is also on SewItsForSale who wants to buy your machine and could pick it up.

aborning 09-18-2013 06:13 PM

Do not try to sell back to a Dealer or trade in. They give you very little for them. Definitely sell on Craig's list or even put an ad in your local newspaper (if you live in a bigger town). I actually just sold a Bernina and I sold it on the APQS Forum website.

QuiltnNan 09-19-2013 05:02 AM

Originally Posted by Quilt Novice (Post 6301862)
Maybe you could sell it here?

there are qualifications for selling here, please see the selling forum for qualifications

Jan in VA 09-19-2013 08:56 AM

Save it as your backup machine. As soon as you sell your Bernina you'll wish you had it back!

Jan in VA

Joset 09-19-2013 10:24 AM

i would keep it. take it out once every two months make sure it is running
good. you never know when you might want it.