Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Selling on Etsy (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/selling-etsy-t34013.html)

DeniseB 01-14-2010 01:18 PM

Thank you so much for this information.

calicocat 01-14-2010 03:03 PM

You have to add something new almost every day for it to get noticed and not lost. After my first initial posting no one ever looked again.

But I know two people who sell successfully on Etsy by posting new merchandise nearly every day.

sandpat 01-14-2010 04:32 PM

What about on consignment at some local shops near you? I have sold quite a bit of stuff on ebay, but never tried etsy. I was thinking though that if I wanted to sell quilting type items or even totes...that I would take them to a couple of the small boutiques/gift shops here in town. I used to sell that way when I was a teenager looking for spending money... :lol:

Tess Myers 01-14-2010 05:05 PM

I have had things listed on etsy.com for 1 year now and I finally sold my first item ! wow, did that take a longgggggggggg time. You might want to see if some of the little stores around where you live will let you put your things in them, I know a lady at work that started out that way now she makes a ton of money though her stuff is NOT hand made. But, its still a good idea. Also, I find I have sold way more by having "Craft Fair" at my home. Get a few friends together and have one every other week, the ppl will get use to you being there and become return customers. Also, make a binder of all of your work so if you dont have something finshed, they can order it. That was another thing I did. Good luck !

catlady506 01-14-2010 06:26 PM

You make me feel better because I have a huge stash. I keep telling my husband that I will use it when I don't have the money after retirement. I look forward to crafting a lot!!!

aliaslaceygreen 01-14-2010 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by catlady506
You make me feel better because I have a huge stash. I keep telling my husband that I will use it when I don't have the money after retirement. I look forward to crafting a lot!!!

Its my fabric 401 k!!!

adrianlee 01-14-2010 08:16 PM

I love that , fabric stash is my 401K. I sure hope so, as my 401K pretty much went down the tubes about a year or two ago. Then hubby just 3 years from retirement got his job downsized due to budget cuts. He still hasn't found a job and he is 60 with tons of experience. Well, I guess there are a few millions others with tons of job experience too and also looking. I do have been thinking of looking at Etsy to sell. I'll keep an eye on this thread to see how it comes about.

aliaslaceygreen 01-15-2010 04:28 AM

Originally Posted by adrianlee
I love that , fabric stash is my 401K. I sure hope so, as my 401K pretty much went down the tubes about a year or two ago. Then hubby just 3 years from retirement got his job downsized due to budget cuts. He still hasn't found a job and he is 60 with tons of experience. Well, I guess there are a few millions others with tons of job experience too and also looking. I do have been thinking of looking at Etsy to sell. I'll keep an eye on this thread to see how it comes about.

its bad, isn't it??
I hope he finds work soon....
If you go to my blog, (below) and search for quilts in the catagory section you can read it...

MelissaK 01-15-2010 04:41 AM

I have a shop on ETSY and have sold some things. I put what I don't sell at craft fairs on there when I don't have a craft fair. Things do get lost among all the items, but if people want, they will find as I have seen. My Aunt does wonderfully on the site. It all depends on what you make and how much of that is already offered on the site. The fees are A LOT cheaper than EBAY.

GailG 01-15-2010 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by aliaslaceygreen

Originally Posted by catlady506

Its my fabric 401 k!!!

:lol: That's a good one! I suppose I don't shop correctly. Everytime I try to put something together from my stash, I have to run to the store because I need something else.