Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Selling Homemade Items in Craft Fairs... a question (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/selling-homemade-items-craft-fairs-question-t238865.html)

IzzysGrammie 01-14-2014 11:37 PM

Selling Homemade Items in Craft Fairs... a question

Hi Everyone,
I watch most all of the sewing programs on our local PBS and have a question regarding some of the tutorials I've seen. Am I allowed to make and sell items from these programs at craft fairs? Thanks in advance for your advice. Becky

ckcowl 01-15-2014 03:07 AM

it depends on whether or not they are using a commercial pattern or teaching a 'technique' if it is a 'technique' class you can use the technique to create anything you want- and sell it; if it's a commercial pattern you should contact the show, or the designer and ask for permission. it is always a controversy, with lots of opinions- many people think you *should* be able to sell anything you make----but; there have been situations where people have found themselves in trouble- including fines- for selling without permission- it is an easy thing to send an email to the show and ask- once you know what their policy is *and have the response in writing* you can continue on...some always say yes...and remember- if you do have permission to sell your item made with a commercial pattern you should always include the designer information on the label (designed by) *give credit where credit is due* .... never hurts to ask- sometimes can hurt to not ask.

Jingle 01-15-2014 06:40 AM

This is among the reasons I don't try to sell anything. I either keep it or give it away. I don't like legal stuff, I'm not a lawyer and don't play one. Then there is the tax problem. Too much for me.

nativetexan 01-15-2014 07:08 AM

I feel if it's given in a tutorial on the internet, why not? They certainly can't say No. that would be ridiculous!!

dunster 01-15-2014 09:13 AM

Can you be more specific in what you wish to make and sell? I can't think of any case in which it would be a problem but would hate to give a blanket "it will be fine" answer.

IzzysGrammie 01-17-2014 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by dunster (Post 6514212)
Can you be more specific in what you wish to make and sell? I can't think of any case in which it would be a problem but would hate to give a blanket "it will be fine" answer.

Hi Dunster.. I will send you a PM. Thanks, Becky

IzzysGrammie 01-17-2014 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by ckcowl (Post 6513458)
it depends on whether or not they are using a commercial pattern or teaching a 'technique' if it is a 'technique' class you can use the technique to create anything you want- and sell it; if it's a commercial pattern you should contact the show, or the designer and ask for permission. it is always a controversy, with lots of opinions- many people think you *should* be able to sell anything you make----but; there have been situations where people have found themselves in trouble- including fines- for selling without permission- it is an easy thing to send an email to the show and ask- once you know what their policy is *and have the response in writing* you can continue on...some always say yes...and remember- if you do have permission to sell your item made with a commercial pattern you should always include the designer information on the label (designed by) *give credit where credit is due* .... never hurts to ask- sometimes can hurt to not ask.

Good, sound advice... thank you so much! Becky