Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   SELLING QUILTS? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/selling-quilts-t107883.html)

Scrap Happy 03-15-2011 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by nycquilter
I will rarely do a commission nowadays for the same reason. I'd rather gift with love than feel that I'm being taken advantage of! However, when I do take a commission now, I ask for the price of the fabric and a donation to my friend's ACS relay for life. That way, more than one person wins!! in fact, we all win. I get to make a quilt (of my choice) for someone, making it with love, my customer (typically a friend) gets a lovely quilt, and ACS can use the money to help find a cure. I love a situation where there are no losers.

What a fantastic idea! I don't make quilts to sell but keep it in back of my mind. My cousin has asked for a quilt and I've added her to the list. She asked how much I would charge her and I told her only for the materials needed to make the quilt. I am a volunteer for the Alzheimer's Association and have a Memory Walk team every year. I could ask her to make a donation for my team if she would like to. She does believe in giving back to her community so I believe she would be happy to do this. Thanks for a brilliant idea that helps our communities too :thumbup:

mimom 03-15-2011 01:43 PM

my sister in-law asks me everytime I show her a new quilt "why dont you sell them". I tell her everytime "I dont think people will pay the money that I feel their worth". I make quilts as gifts for family and for my home to leave a little part of me when I'm gone.

Ramona Byrd 03-15-2011 02:26 PM

[quote=mimom]my sister in-law asks me everytime I show her a new quilt "why dont you sell them". I tell her everytime "I dont think people will pay the money that I feel their worth".
--------------------------------------------
Show her a qullt and quote her a price and ask HER to sell it for you. She'll get a nasty shock when people tell her they can get one for almost nothing at Walmart.

PaperPrincess 03-15-2011 02:35 PM

Yep, the folks that ask you to sell usually have no clue what a reasonable price would be.

jaciqltznok 03-15-2011 02:37 PM

just think, with the new prices of fabric, soon a queen size quilt will cost $800-$1,000.00 with minimal quilting on it!
Pattern makers like Judy Neimeyer will have to make more table runner patterns. I just priced the fabric to make the Celtic star(the 90" version), and even on sale just the fabric for the top came to $300, then there is backing, binding, thread, batting, the countless hours to make it and paying for quilting!

For a grand, I think I will have to pass on it!

the casual quilter 03-15-2011 04:56 PM

Oh, yes. And nobody seems to get the expense in making them or the time it takes. I think that folks who don't know the craft have no appreciation for the effort and consequently don't have a clue about what it costs.

maryb44662 03-15-2011 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by Dollysquiltingmom
I have had people ask me if I would sell quilts, I just smile and say "oh hun, I could never get paid the amount that I have in them" LOL then they just have to ask exactly how much do you have in them and I smile and say in a range of $150.00 to $200.00 not including my time then I get the fish face look you know the mouth wide open. LOL Needless to say I don't have any customers LOL. Quilting is a hobby for me something I enjoy doing if I had to make quilts to sell I would not like it. LOL

"Ditto" to all of the above. I have people asking me all the time and I just tell them that I do quilting as a hobby and they could not afford to pay me the cost, time and materials that I have in them. I am also choosy as to who I gift them too. When I quote 150 to 300 bucks they also tell me they can get them cheaper at a store. I send them on their way...........lol

Ms Elaine Va 03-15-2011 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by darlin121
[spend any where from $200-500 a month on quilting related items and to not recoup that money i'd be broke in no time.

HEY! That's me.... broke! lol[/quote]

How do you find folks that are willing to pay for materials + your time? LQS told me a few of my quilts were worth $700-1000 I don't think alot folks have that kind of $ for quilts.

sewingsuz 03-15-2011 05:26 PM

I sent a e-mail of my scrap quilt to my Mother. When she saw me she said " do you have to cut all those pieces out. I said Yes. Then she said " doesn't that take a long time? She does not sew.

dotski 03-16-2011 01:59 AM

Originally Posted by Kat Sews
I sell when the price is right. One quilt paid a years worth of car and house insurance, property tax, and filled my propane tank for the whole winter.

WOW who the heck did you sell your quilt to i want her name ....here in n.y. that amounts to $9000 plus the price of propane...which i have no idea how much that is !!!