Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Selling quilts? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/selling-quilts-t273614.html)

Jcarpentier 12-22-2015 05:06 PM

Selling quilts?

Hey all,

I am wondering if any of you have ever researched or even sold your handmade quilts? Any advice? I'm just thinking about it. I looked on one site and someone said she just sells the tops. This I could do! Thanks so much!

hobbykat1955 12-22-2015 05:23 PM

I've sold both completed and tops just to rid myself of piles and ones I've lost interest...I sell on ebay and most are looking or bargains and little chance of getting labor costs just replacement of supplies...

quiltedsunshine 12-22-2015 06:09 PM

I've sold quilt tops and blocks on Ebay and Etsy. I'd get as much money for a top or blocks as you could a finished quilt.

Sandra in Minnesota 12-22-2015 06:49 PM

Usually, it isn't worth the headaches.

ragamuffin 12-22-2015 08:29 PM

Is there a quilt shop or other shop that could sell the finished ones for you? They would add a fee but it could be worth looking into.

Bree123 12-22-2015 08:59 PM

Find a niche & stick with it. I researched etsy, but reasonably priced quilts don't sell very easily on that platform because there are so many people who sell quilts for less than the cost of material. I do better selling through word-of-mouth and as a back-up have a contact that has an established market & charges about the same rate as etsy (but her customers understand what makes a quality quilt & are willing to pay for that).

If you have any award-winning quilts or quilts that have been featured in publications, share that information with buyers. If not, it often helps to have the first few you sell appraised & to share the appraisal with buyers so they have an idea about the quality of your work. The rare quilt that sells on etsy for hundreds or thousands of dollars almost always has one of those two items in their ad.

If you are selling locally, your LQS or guilds are great places to spread the word. A lot of our members only quilt for family, but will have friends, neighbors or colleagues come up & ask them if they can buy a quilt from them. Instead of just giving a flat "no", they share that we often have quilt tops come available for sale that they could purchase for $125+ and then can choose their own quilt design with the help of one of our LA members. We've had a number of people over the years who've bought those tops and were excited to contribute something by picking out a special pantograph or even investing in a beautiful custom design. It really just depends on how popular quilts are in your area & what kind of quilts/designs buyers are looking for.

In addition to seeking out local quilting resources, you may want to get in contact with your local Small Business Association for additional tips about marketing, branding & sales.

ckcowl 12-23-2015 04:06 AM

I've sold many quilts over the years, some listed on the * Quilts for Sale* websites, some on my own, Some commissions, some unexpected ones.
Visit the quilts for sale website and see some of the quilts and what they are selling for ( I make the most $ from the ones I sell there)
Do not undercut yourself! Your time is valuable. Keep Very Good Records! Prepare a contract and use it ( especially if you will do special orders, commissions-- always get a deposit)
Remember, you would pay your plumber, mechanic, carpenter $50-$60 an hour-- do Not feel guilty to ask $25+ an hour for your time... Added to costs of all materials, supplies.

ckcowl 12-23-2015 04:16 AM

Originally Posted by Sandra in Minnesota (Post 7411307)
Usually, it isn't worth the headaches.

I've learned to avoid any headaches! And, it is oh so worth it!
I've purchased (2) longarms thanks to sold quilts, gone on many great vacations, support my* quilting habit* without ever dipping into the household budget. I keep good records, shop sales to maximize my profit margin, discuss everything with potential buyer up front-- communication and honesty are a must!

Jcarpentier 12-23-2015 04:16 AM

Thanks so much! I'm really thinking of possibly selling quilts but maybe even smaller projects such as quilted pot holders, place mats, and such. Thanks again!

OhCanada 12-23-2015 04:25 AM

Originally Posted by Jcarpentier (Post 7411208)
Hey all,

I am wondering if any of you have ever researched or even sold your handmade quilts? Any advice? I'm just thinking about it. I looked on one site and someone said she just sells the tops. This I could do! Thanks so much!

Good luck in your venture! It would be wonderful for you to make money doing what you love to do. I work too slowly to ever be able to make a profit selling my quilts lol.