Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Separate Novice and Advanced quilt judging categories? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/separate-novice-advanced-quilt-judging-categories-t306271.html)

sandrab64 08-11-2019 12:38 PM

Separate Novice and Advanced quilt judging categories?

We just finished up our county fair and an interesting question was brought up. “Would it be feasible to have a separate beginner category and an advanced category perhaps in the lap/throw quilt category?” We already have 3 separate age classes. The example given was if you have several quilts entered in one category, how does the beginner quilter compete against the advanced quilter in the same age class? The comment was “The beginner quilter will never win or get a ribbon”. How would you differentiate between a beginner quilter and an advanced quilter? By the number of years involved with quilting? By the quality and workmanship? I have seen many wonderful works by beginning quilters and some not so great work by people who have quilted for years. Does the exhibitor decide which level they want to enter in? Would you then need a beginner and an advanced category for each type of quilt, (i.e. table runners, throw quilt, bed quilt, wallhanging, etc). Right now we have about 18 different categories and take in about 45-50 quilts total.

I want to give due diligence to the question so would like your thoughts about this. Thank you!

dunster 08-11-2019 12:58 PM

I think everyone's work should compete evenly within the age category, which I assume is to differentiate between young children, older children, and adults. Perhaps the beginning quilter will not get a ribbon on her first quilt (or perhaps she will, if the work is good enough), but she will not always be a beginner, and will have the opportunity to show her work again. 18 categories for 45-50 quilts is already a lot.

Iceblossom 08-11-2019 01:38 PM

I've seen many shows with a "first quilts" category. Of course you have to depend on people's word.

Some people, however, are able to do amazing thing their first time through. Not me! But some people :)

suern3 08-11-2019 01:56 PM

I agree with Dunster. She said it very well. The only thing I might add, is that it seems that some people may want a ribbon for participating which could be an option. Similar though to the trophy for everyone idea, if that is how they want to go.

cindi 08-11-2019 02:59 PM

Sometimes I think this might be a good thing, although I wouldn’t know what to call it as I think there’s a huge section of the quilting population that would fall between “beginner” and “advanced” that wouldn’t know which category to enter.

There is one person who enters 1-2 quilts in each of several divisions in our fair every year. She is extremely talented and her quilts are beautiful (predominately appliqué). They truly belong in major shows, they’re that good. She has won Best of Show on several occasions and typically wins 4-6 first and/or second place ribbons every year. I’ve given up entering in the fair because I know if she enters, she’s the one who will take the majority of the ribbons. Don’t get me wrong, she absolutely deserves them. I feel that I have no chance at all if she enters because her quilts are so exceptional, so I’ve given up on entering anymore. I am far from a beginner and consider myself fairly advanced, but I may never in my lifetime be as advanced as she is.

sewbizgirl 08-11-2019 03:49 PM

I wouldn't divide categories up by ability levels. The way a novice competes with a more experienced quilter is to make quilts and get better at their skills.

I'm not in the 'trophy for everyone' camp. :D

sewbizgirl 08-11-2019 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by cindi (Post 8288170)

There is one person who enters 1-2 quilts in each of several divisions in our fair every year. She is extremely talented and her quilts are beautiful (predominately appliqué). They truly belong in major shows, they’re that good. She has won Best of Show on several occasions and typically wins 4-6 first and/or second place ribbons every year. I’ve given up entering in the fair because I know if she enters, she’s the one who will take the majority of the ribbons. Don’t get me wrong, she absolutely deserves them. I feel that I have no chance at all if she enters because her quilts are so exceptional, so I’ve given up on entering anymore. I am far from a beginner and consider myself fairly advanced, but I may never in my lifetime be as advanced as she is.

Oh... sad you gave up! I'm sure you have many wonderful quilts that others would love to see. Don't enter to win first place, enter to share your work and inspire others.

Stitchnripper 08-11-2019 04:16 PM

I agree to enter not just a ribbon in mind! When I go to quilt shoes I love looking at the various types and levels of workmanship. It’s a wonderful experience to see what everyone can accomplish. and for myself I don’t usually agree with the judges choices anyway.

quiltingshorttimer 08-11-2019 05:48 PM

Both our fair and guild shows do have beginner bed quilt categories--has to have been quilting 2 or fewer years. The Fair also has age categories and also one that is completely done by the entrant. Our guild has tried several different categories--recently we decided to just go by method (except for the mini's, the beginner and the jr.--only jr. get a participation ribbon.)

Tartan 08-11-2019 06:45 PM

​The fairs in my area do a have a category for first quilt or beginner.