Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Separation anxiety (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/separation-anxiety-t48472.html)

CarrieAnne 06-05-2010 06:14 PM

No, I always get such a good feeling! AND I get to start a new one!

geckogirl 06-05-2010 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by Shirley H
Does anyone experience "separation anxiety" when having to finally give your finished quilt to the promised one?

I have not gotten to this point yet . . . however, when my mom has an empty frame (she quilts by hand) she tends to have slight anxiety. She normally works on one in the frame AND pieces together another top so that she always has one in the frame :-)

wvdek 06-05-2010 09:24 PM

Nope. I love to donate items I have made or give them away. Once that is done, I'm on to the next project.

I never experienced empty nest syndrome either. :roll:
Think there is a connection?

roseOfsharon 06-05-2010 09:28 PM

I have not made anything for myself as of yet... although I am working on a BOM row quilt with Lockleb here on the board, that will be mine to keep. I have enjoyed making the things thus far and giving away! It gives me great pleasure. I know I will make a quilt of scraps one day and possibly keep, but until then, I sew to give and it brings a smile when given and that is what makes me happiest! :)

Edie 06-06-2010 03:13 AM

I find that I "Bond" with each and every quilt for different reasons. I love to give them away. Out of all the quilts I have made I have kept my Memory Quilt (not to be used) and the Floating Stars, which I am not even done with yet. One quilt went to a baby born with Down Syndrome (our son's closest friend's first child) and my heart went with that quilt. Two other ones I made were for a raffle for the Susan G. Komen Three Day walk here in St. Paul, three others went to my grandchildrens first child (I don't know if I will be here to see my first great grandchild, but I wanted them to know I loved them and made a quilt for them). All the Quilts for Kids I have made, I say a little prayer that each child or baby (NICU size) will be healthy again and happy. I made one for my mother. That was the hardest (emotionally)...I gave it to her when she was 93. Last year. It was made with fabric she had given me, because it is hard for her to quilt now (bad back). I wanted her to know that I really appreciated everything she taught me....I didn't start quilting until I was in my late 50's. Been quilting nigh on to 14 years now.

I keep a diary of each quilt I make, the date I started, the date I finished, who it went to, why, what it was suppose to mean and then I break the bond and give it to the recipient with love.

It is my little "child" to care for and nurture until it is all "grown up" and then I send it on its way.

I think that is why I love quilting so much. Edie

thismomquilts 06-06-2010 03:23 AM

I love each quilt I make - there is only one that I've given away that I really wish I could've kept - a blue/white one. All the others -I've enjoyed giving away because I made them for those people specifically. I love quilting!!

finch 06-06-2010 03:29 AM

Yes. If the person doesn't appreciate all of the love and time that goes into quilting projects.I also take pictures to look at later on.

pollyjvan9 06-06-2010 04:57 AM

Not really, sometimes anxious to see if the recipient likes the quilt. Once I get one finished I am ready to get busy on another one. I always have several in progress.

starstruck 06-06-2010 05:49 AM

I actually have separation anxiety when I pick a fabric from my stash and commit it to a quilt!!

sandpat 06-06-2010 06:43 AM

Nope...I love to give them away.