Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Serger Help! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/serger-help-t69006.html)

GrandmaJeanne 10-08-2010 06:34 AM

Here I bought a serger months ago, brought it home, haven't really used it. The reason I bought it was I was going to go into sewing clothes, just simple ones, but haven't yet. But got it out yesterday, and was pulling my hair out, trying to thread it, (got that done) and trying to fix the tension. A days worth on and off. So what I want to know is what do you use your serger for?

I have a 2,3,4 thread serger, just a simple Pfaff 2.0 hobbylock.
But really don't know what I'm gonna use this for except for seam finishing. Got a lot to learn on this one.

Is there any website that has any useful information on this matter? Still frustrated.

Grama Lehr 10-08-2010 06:47 AM

Grama, I have a serger and absolutely love it!! It is a real time saver when making clothing! There are several books, generic, that will help you learn all of the various things that you can do with it. If you are interested, I will get the names of them and PM you the information.
I have also used it to piece quilts, especially baby ones that will be used and washed. They will not come apart.
After I am done quilting, before I put on the binding, I serge all the way around my quilts. It cuts off all of the lose thread, and tidy up the edges and the binding goes on really smooth.
Once you have it threaded, it should be really easy to use. Did you follow the directions in the manual? The tension is based on the fabric and the stitch function you are using.

amma 10-08-2010 06:51 AM

Nancy Zieman has a book on quick and easy serger projects. I think you would find it very helpful and informative :D:D:D

http://www.amazon.com/Serge-Confiden...p/0873498550#_

quiltnchik 10-08-2010 06:55 AM

Originally Posted by Grama Lehr
After I am done quilting, before I put on the binding, I serge all the way around my quilts. It cuts off all of the lose thread, and tidy up the edges and the binding goes on really smooth.

I do the same thing. Sometimes my tops will sit for a while before being quilted, so I serge around them to make sure the edges don't start raveling.

Spudgm 10-08-2010 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by quiltnchik

Originally Posted by Grama Lehr

I do the same thing. Sometimes my tops will sit for a while before being quilted, so I serge around them to make sure the edges don't start raveling.

What a great idea!!! I never thought to serge my quilts. I use to make all my children's TShirts and sweats and my youngest daughters jeans (she was so tall and thin we could not buy them to fit), so I wore out my first serger. I bought a floor model about 4 years ago, I now use my serger mostly for Christmas jammies for the grandkides.

I will have to try serging my quilts. Thanks Ladies!

Bluphrog 10-08-2010 07:55 AM

I use my serger to make and repair clothing. I have made quillows with it, but haven't used it for quilting yet. though I do like the idea of serging around a quilt before binding it. I also make pillowcases -- 3 seams, and you're done when you use the "hot dog" method to make the pillowcases.

Grama Lehr 10-08-2010 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by amma
Nancy Zieman has a book on quick and easy serger projects. I think you would find it very helpful and informative :D:D:D

http://www.amazon.com/Serge-Confiden...p/0873498550#_

That is one of the books that I was talking about!! I have made two of her quilts. The Pin wheel and the flower hanging :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

sewred 10-08-2010 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by GrandmaJeanne
Here I bought a serger months ago, brought it home, haven't really used it. The reason I bought it was I was going to go into sewing clothes, just simple ones, but haven't yet. But got it out yesterday, and was pulling my hair out, trying to thread it, (got that done) and trying to fix the tension. A days worth on and off. So what I want to know is what do you use your serger for?

I have a 2,3,4 thread serger, just a simple Pfaff 2.0 hobbylock.
But really don't know what I'm gonna use this for except for seam finishing. Got a lot to learn on this one.
I have a Singer Serger and haven't used it much but did it come with a dvd on threading it? If not you may be able to contact Pfaff and have them send you one. I found mine really helpful!

Is there any website that has any useful information on this matter? Still frustrated.

G'ma Kay 10-08-2010 09:28 AM

I use mine for general clothing construction, but also when I shorten pants or jeans. It makes the seams lay much flatter than turning under twice.

Grama Lehr 10-08-2010 09:33 AM

All of us Grandmas love our sergers! It works great on jeans!! I have to hem every pair that I buy!!