Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Serger (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/serger-t88370.html)

pamkasperi 01-07-2011 08:10 AM

Does anyone use a serger to put their initial blocks together? If so, why and how does it work out for you and if not - why?

amma 01-07-2011 08:13 AM

The seams would be a lot thicker/bulkier, that is why I wouldn't use a serger to construct a quilt :D:D:D

deedum 01-07-2011 08:34 AM

My neighbor did one and it was beautiful, she used the flatlock stitch and it was ofcourse flat not bulky at at all. I have a pattern for serger quilts that I have not made yet! On my list of todo's. I think you will find many patterns on that if you got google it. I got my pattern from Clothide.

Candace 01-07-2011 08:34 AM

It's much harder keeping a consistent seam, especially 1/4" and the seams inside the quilt don't need finishing. There are always new "techniques" made to sell a book or show.

thepolyparrot 01-07-2011 09:06 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I made a snowball quilt on the serger once - the back of that quilt top was the prettiest I've ever seen - so clean and finished.

I wouldn't do it all the time, but if I ever made a flannel or satin quilt, again, I would certainly use the serger. I might use it for children's quilts because I think they add some durability.

I almost always use my serger with a rather wide seam to trim my quilts in preparation for binding.

Back of the quilt with nesting seams
[ATTACH=CONFIG]155455[/ATTACH]

Finished quilt
[ATTACH=CONFIG]155456[/ATTACH]

pamkasperi 01-07-2011 09:19 AM

Thanks Elizabeth....the one I am working on right now, I am serging. It looks pretty and it is flat - my seams look like your picture so I think I'm doing it right.

I was wanting to do it for duribility and ....well truthfully for speed purposes. Its for a small child and it just seems like it would hold together better.

If anyone else does this and has some hints, I'm all ears!

thepolyparrot 01-07-2011 09:37 AM

Sounds like you're doing fine, then. "Pretty and flat" are always good! :)

I loved that quilt top - but I made the mistake of trying to quilt it with my embroidery machine. ARGHHHHHH - never again! No matter how I propped up the weight, the hoop kept falling out of alignment. And my (terrible, nasty, awful, useless) Futura refused to follow its own centering marks, so many of the quilting designs ended up way off-center. :? Plus, something went goofy with the tensions in the middle of the quilt and all the designs ended up with crazy amounts of the top thread on the back side of the quilt.

I keep saying that someday, I'm going to make that quilt again - it was so cheerful and nostalgic with the vintage prints.

pamkasperi 01-07-2011 09:45 AM

Oh man...I was thinking I would try my embroidery machine to quilt...I have 2 - a PE Esante and then a brother 6 head....maybe I'll try it on scraps first.

Maia B 01-07-2011 09:54 AM

I've seen serger quilts, but think of the wasted thread! Wouldn't that get pricey? I'd worry that the overlock loops would get tugged or tangled during the quilting. Plus, my basic serger sounds awful. Love the sound of my featherweights and my Babylock Quest Plus is whisper quiet. Of course, to each her own and if it works for you, keep working it.

featherweight 01-07-2011 12:17 PM

No I have never tried it. Don't think I care to either...