Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Serger thread......can I use for quilting? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/serger-thread-can-i-use-quilting-t211630.html)

helou 01-21-2013 05:14 PM

How interesting! I have a lot of serger thread and I never thought of using it. Well, now I will and I will keep reading the replies that will come next. Thanks for asking.

mudose8 01-21-2013 05:35 PM

I've used serger thread quite frequently. Never seem to have any problems either.

MimiBug123 01-21-2013 07:19 PM

I have loads of serger thread, and seldom use my serger! I think I'll give it a try and see how it works. Thanks for a great idea!

cowgirlquilter 01-21-2013 07:31 PM

Well it seems to be the majority of responses I have received say it shouldn't be a problem.....but I need to check for strength.
Thanks to all of you for your wisdom.......I sooooooo appreciate it!!!

peacebypiece 01-21-2013 08:13 PM

So why the big flap about strength for quilt piecing? When most quilts are finished the stress is spread out over most of the whole quilt. Most quilts are not used for tug-o-war games. Plus, there are at least two layers of fabric and miles of stitches through it all to hold things together. No stress. If serger thread can hold the butt seam together in tight sports clothing, it surely can hold together a quilt laying on a bed.

Peckish 01-21-2013 08:30 PM

I did the same thing - bought serger thread on clearance. It never got as far as the quilt. It shredded in my machine. I rethreaded, changed needles, checked tension, everything. Finally decided the measly dollar I spent on the thread was not worth my time and aggravation.

amandasgramma 01-21-2013 08:30 PM

Let's think of it this way ---- if a thread is strong enough to hold two pieces of fabric together (let's say the seam on a pair of pants), then it should be strong enough to hold a quilt together!!! I'm for using anything that goes thru your machine and holds up to the "check".

QuiltNama 01-22-2013 07:24 AM

I check the serger thread before I use it to make sure it is strong. When you use the serger, you are using 3, 4, or 5 threads together on a seam. If you use it for sewing seams, you thread it in the top and use it in the bobbin, so not as many threads used together. But that being said, I use it all the time.

sandy l 01-22-2013 07:29 AM

I use serger thread, top and bobbin on my longarm, as I find that it doesn't seem to be as linty as "regular" quilting thread. Don't know if it's because both a serger and a longarm sew at a higher speed than a regular sewing machine.

peacebypiece 01-22-2013 08:06 AM

A serger uses three or four threads, BUT only two actually make the seam that holds the fabrics together. The extra threads are the overedge component. Look closely at the seam: just two threads that interlock together in the seam. It is a complicated stitch configuration, but still only two threads actually hold things together.