Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Serger thread??? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/serger-thread-t138121.html)

Candace 07-16-2011 04:17 PM

I know quite a few people who've made the mistake of using it. It's not strong-it needs 3-5 threads to serge a seam. The folks I know have had their quilts fall apart after repeated laundering.

june6995 07-16-2011 05:01 PM

My experience with using a serger is that it needs several cones in order to make the over-lock stitching system. In this use, there are several threads, but I do not feel the weight of the thread is inferior to any other threads. I cannot imagine anyone making a mistake by using it since so many people have used it for many years. I think it is more preference. It is a choice to say a person would say they choose to use only the more expensive threads. If you consider how many stitches go into a quilt while quilting it, one broken thread is certainly not going to be a disaster. The quilt will NEVER fall apart. I cannot understand that theory.

We all have ideas of what works for us and because I make my quilts to give away, the price of thread is taken into consideration. And I doubt the recipient would know what kind of thread was used.

June in Cincinnati

marcialb 07-16-2011 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by quiltlady1941
can you use serger thread to sew your quilt and would it be ok to quilt the quilt with the serger thread?

Thank you :)

I'm going to be using it to quilt with as a top thread-- I like some of the varigated colors.

Marcia

Peckish 07-16-2011 05:51 PM

I've tried quilting on my mid-arm with serger thread and ended up turning everyone's ears blue with my language. It kept shredding.

peacebypiece 07-16-2011 05:58 PM

Count the threads that actually make the seam to hold the fabric together with a serger: 2 Count the threads that make a seam to hold the fabric together with a normal straight stitch: 2

If two pieces of thread can hold a seam together on slacks, they surely can hold it together in a quilt top.

OneMoreQuilt 07-16-2011 07:04 PM

I have used it for piecing, quilting, making clothes and crafts.

TonnieLoree 07-16-2011 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by peacebypiece
Count the threads that actually make the seam to hold the fabric together with a serger: 2 Count the threads that make a seam to hold the fabric together with a normal straight stitch: 2

If two pieces of thread can hold a seam together on slacks, they surely can hold it together in a quilt top.

Actually on a 5 cone serger, there are only two threads that make the chain stitch seam. The other three represent the overcasting where the fabric is cut off.

jdiane318 07-16-2011 07:19 PM

I use serger thread, even embroidery thread for what I need done quilting and sewing wise and have had no issues. I have a small quilt that was done entirely in serger thread about 6 years ago and wash it at least 2 times a week for the past 6 years and it is still holding up well. In fact, I found no noticeable difference between in and the thread from Connecting Threads.

Lori S 07-16-2011 07:24 PM

I use it alot! It is stronger than most give it credit... plus lots less lint with poly thread.

quiltlady1941 07-16-2011 08:43 PM

Thanks everyone on your input on the serger thread....

I was given 4 very large totes filled with serger thread of every color... and as I don't use my serger very much I wanted to know how it would be for quilting..

I guess I will use it for my quilts and will try using it to quilt the quilt also...

Thank you all so much :)